Chapter 188

Chapter 188 The Secret Behind her Mother's Sudden Death

The atmosphere in the room grew grave. Mo Huawen was shocked. He smiled after a while and said, "Why do you all want me to remarry? Even you are telling me this. Your mother only passed away less than two years ago..." He raised his wine cup and drained it, his smile growing bitter.

The words rushed out of her mouth, "Father, Mother will understand and she will not blame you. She held my hand then and told me that if there is a good girl, for you to marry her. Just remember not to ill-treat Tong'er."

She held the corner of the table with a shaky hand. It was as if that was the only way she could push down the pain in her heart.

Her mother's pale face appeared before her. She had been thrown from heaven to hell that day!

She could not bear how her mother did not even get to see her father for one last time. She could not bear how heartless the man was. He was still fooling around with a concubine while her mother was on the brink of death. He even threw out the servants that Nanny Ming sent over...

Her mother died. She stood in the corridor watching coldly as her father rushed over in a panic. He saw how he stumbled and fell into the door. Her heart filled with hatred as she watched him call out "Luo Xia". She felt that everything was a joke. Her mother was already dead. Who was he acting for?

"Tong'er, what else did your mother say...?" Mo Huawen said with difficulty. His hands, which were holding the chopsticks tightly, shook. His eyes were deep and dark under the candlelight. Yet, they were filled with strong sadness. He reached out for the wine flagon beside him with shaky hands and poured himself another cup of wine. He drained the cup once more.

Mo Xuetong had felt that he had failed her mother then. As such, she had not told her father what her mother had said at all!

"Mother told me not to blame you and that it has been hard on you. She told me to be an obedient daughter who will take care of you. She even placed a flower that you picked for her the day before by her pillow... she only said that it was as if she had been looking at you." Mo Xuetong swallowed with difficulty and could not continue saying anything. Tears slid down her cheeks.

She was beyond upset then. She held her mother's hand and refused to let go, waiting for the moment when those hands turned completely cold. Her world was cold at that moment too. Other than the coldness, was hate...

Across her, Mo Huawen's eyes shone with tears. He said hoarsely, "Your, your mother. Did she leave behind anything?"

"Father, Mother left behind a letter she wrote on her deathbed. It was for you..." Mo Xuetong shook as she took out a letter. The letter was already very old; however, one could still see the corner that had once been soaked. The color on the corner was different. She could almost see her mother half-lying on the bed and writing the letter with shaking hands.

"You, why didn't you give it to me..." Mo Huawen tried to hide the pain he felt as he took the letter.

"Father, did you even look at me then? Even if I wanted to say anything, you must first allow me to. Furthermore, I did not wish to tell you then..." Mo Xuetong took a deep breath and smiled slightly. However, the smile on her tear-filled face made one's heart twinge for her.

The child had misunderstood him. Mo Huawen took the letter in his hands and felt that it was unbearably heavy. He had not taken care of the daughter she had left him. He had almost let her die in Auntie Fang's hands. His heart hurt and felt empty when he thought of that.

He could not help but say...

"Tong'er, I went to Auntie Fang's courtyard that day because His Majesty had sent a secret edict. I must not let others discover that, which was why I went to Auntie Fang's courtyard. It was not because... I only realized that your mother had passed away when I sent the secret envoy away. She was still fine the day before and told me that she was going to take you on a trip. But..." Mo Huawen said. It was an explanation he wanted to give to Mo Xuetong for many years.