CHAPTER - 74

Chuck Cannon originally wanted to invite Zelda Maine to dinner. Since Zelda kept him company at the workshop the whole morning, he planned to treat her to a meal.

How could he allow her to pay for his food?

"So, are you available tonight?" Zelda asked again in desperation.

Zelda was a little annoyed by all the nonsense chatter of her best friend, Quincy. Now things have gotten serious. Her mother had heard the news and rushed over. She could only ask

Chuck to keep up with the act.

"I have a class in the afternoon," Chuck said.

"Can you ask for leave?" Zelda asked, her voice full of apprehension.

Chuck hesitated. The session he'd be skipping this afternoon was Yvette's class. If he skipped her period, she would be more annoyed. All the talk about cars last night had already aggravated her.

"What's the matter?" Chuck asked with interest.

Zelda had no choice but to tell Chuck the reason why her mother was here. Chuck was surprised after listening to it. Last time at Quincy Lowe's birthday, Chuck had pretended to be Zelda's boyfriend, but it was no trouble for him at all. He even kissed Zelda twice at that time.

Now that Chuck thought about it, he already had wild thoughts running in his mind.

"Just this time, please help me. My mother is already on her way." Zelda pleaded.

Chuck had no choice but to ask Zelda to wait while he contacted Yvette to inform her about the situation. Fortunately, Yvette picked up after two rings.

"You're skipping class, aren't you?"

Yvette's icy voice echoed loud and clear from the other end of the line. It was as if she already knew that Chuck had something up his sleeves, or else he wouldn't have called her.

"Uh, no. I just have something else to do."

"That still means you won't be attending my class. That is ditching schoolwork. Chuck Cannon, you're about to take the exam. Do you think you can pass?"

Chuck shook his head. He knew he wouldn't pass the quiz, but he couldn't admit that to her.

"Yvette, it's just..."

"It's your decision if you want to show up later or play hooky."

Chuck heaved a heavy sigh. Yvette had given her permission. "Thanks. I'll come to class next time."

"That's what you also said last time," Yvette sneered.

Chuck could feel his ears turning red because of embarrassment. Did he ever say that?

"Thank you." Chuck was too flustered to say anything else.

"I don't want your gratitude. Go and drive Zelda's, Land Rover!"

Yvette hung up, leaving Chuck flabbergasted. What was Yvette thinking? Did she think he was using Zelda's car?

Zelda was all worked up. She called and asked where her mother was so she could make necessary preparations for dinner later.