94. Innocent

Trigger warning: Mentions of murder and investigation/interrogation environments.
----------

"For fuck's sake Sirius !" Remus threw the papers on a steel table between them.

"I'm trying to help you prove you're not guilty ! By laughing to the cameras- fuck to the press !? You're not helping my case."

The brown haired man laid both his palms on the table. Meanwhile his "bestfriend", sat with his back laid and his feet kicked on the table.

His left wrist was cuffed to the table while his right hand held a lit cigarette. "Yell at me all you want, I did what I had to."

"What Sirius ?! Avenging James and Lily ? I- You- Do you not see how wrong that sounds ? You are the only man alive with 13 dead bodies. Including Peter's !" Remus sat down.

Something changed in Sirius' cold expression. "You think I murdered them ? You think I killed all of them ? Even Pettigrew ?"

A tear rolled down Remus' cheek. The lawyer threw his glasses. "I- You think I want to believe that ?! You think I don't want to prove you right ?"

Nothing is helping their case so far. With Sirius' history of mischief and his bloodline, he was the perfect suspect. The Ministry wouldn't want to hear his side at all.

-----

Cameras flashing and Remus stepped on the podium. Journalists leaned forward to hear what he has to say. While the man cleared his throat.

"Hello, my name is Remus Lupin and I am Black's attorney. My client was convicted of killing 13 people including one of his closest friends, Peter Pettigrew."

"In the investigation, only 12 of the bodies were identified. Leaving 1 man, Peter Pettigrew, behind with a body-less finger. Following the chronology and simple logic, where is Pettigrew's body ? We question the evidence pointing Black as guilty when there is another living suspect missing. Thank you."

Remus quickly walked himself away. Almost running to the toilet, he leaned on the basin. His own questions running threw his head.

He and Sirius grew apart after James' murder. With Peter mysteriously disappearing, the Marauders struggled to pull themselves together as best friends.

A few weeks after, Sirius was arrested for murder. Sirius being Sirius, he called the only lawyer he knew inside out. 

That evening Remus visited Sirius' room in the Ministry of Magic. "How are you ?"

"I read the papers. Thank you for what you said." Sirius finally lifted his head. "Why are you helping me Remus ? When I owled you, I thought you'd.. ignore me."

Remus sat next to him. "I'm not that vicious."

Sirius leaned his head on Remus' shoulder. "What if I die Remus ? What if they can't  find Peter ? What if I get executed ?"

An arm snaked itself around Sirius' shoulder and drew comforting circles on his arm. "I won't  let that happen. I told you, I never lose a case. Especially this."

-------

[A few weeks later]

"Sirius, you listen to me." Remus had both palms on his friend's shoulder. "Don't say anything outside of what's questioned. If you don't know what to say, shut up. Repeat after me."

Sirius rolled his eyes. "Don't say anything outside of what's questioned. If I don't know what to say, shut up."

"Good. They are going to turn your brain upside down to find any sign of anger or dishonesty. That's why you better, tell them the truth. They won't use the Verita Serum on you so they can close the case."

Remus sighed. "Don't fuck up your chances Siri. I- I can't see my best friend in Azkaban. Please."

The 2 of them stood silently against the glass door of the interrogation room.

"They are going to tape everything you say so talk surely-"

Sirius pressed his lips to Remus. "You looked hot being all lawyer-y."

Remus chuckled. "When all this is over, we should start over."

"Bestfriends" is sort of an understatement. They were ex-s, broke up after graduating because of the distance and constant fighting. But here they are. Remus fighting for Sirius' innocence, Sirius a murderer.

Sirius was about to lean in when Remus pushed him. "They can't see us like this. We have to be-" cough "professional."

---

Entering the room, 3 men sat across them. Asked Sirius yes or no questions about his position when the murder happened.

"What time did the fight happened ?" one of them asked.

Sirius wanted to choke him. "I was fighting sir, I really can't check the time."

Remus squeezed  his knee as a reminder. The man continued, "The muggle police CCTV surveillance recorded at 7PM sharp, you were running in the alley with a wand in hand. 12 other Muggles around the alley.

Around 7.30 PM the curse went off severing all footage. In the last minute, you were furthest from Pettigrew. But Peter being closest to a way out. Is this true Sirius ?"

"Yes, I was cornered. My wand had no trace of the killing curse in it. 12 Men  circled me while that little shi- I meant Peter came last. If you watched your little recording, you'd see him hold his own wand, check his wand for the killing curse."

Remus smiled inwardly. That was a strong statement to set some evidence. It was true, Remus saw the footage himself. He intentionally mentioned Peter to prolong Sirius' investigation period. With this, they might have to extend it again.

That's when the door slammed open. A disheveled agent came running in with papers. "Sir ! Pettigrew ! We caught Pettigrew !"

The men ordered them to stay put while they ran out. Sirius, for once, nodded in silence. Remus stood up to object such vague order but was also silenced as they left him in dust.

Sirius stared to the table. "I'm innocent Remus. I'll be innocent. My name is cleared." 

Remus' brown eyes softened. "You are. You are innocent Sirius, don't let them change that in your head."

----

[Black Proven Clean

Peter Pettigrew, mass murderer and a master of the dark arts, is caught 21st December 1981. Peter Pettigrew is sentenced to life in Azkaban for his actions of attempted murder against Sirius Black, murder of 12 muggles and fraud in the shape of pseudocide. ...]

Remus threw the Daily Prophet on Sirius' sleeping figure. "We won Sirius."

The man snorted and woke with a start. "Watch it ! You're going to hit Harry." He whisper-shouted.

"Then come out here and let him sleep." Remus pulled Sirius to his feet and held him close.

"I'm free." Remus felt him smile against his neck. "Thank you Re."

"I was doing half the work. It was the truth." He replied.

"We're free at last."

"Yes, and now pancakes !"