116. Lend a Hand

Being in university is money draining. With that in mind, enter 2 broke strangers under one roof for the next 4 years. Sirius, the social science major and Remus, a doctor in the making.

They weren't that close. Which was a huge disappointment for both parties. But what can you say ? They were home in different times and shyness is really a disease.

When they do meet, they get along extremely well.

"Re ? I bought Cheerios instead of Koko Krunch, you don't mind right ?" Sirius dumped his keys on the table.

Remus, who was stirring spaghetti, tested the new nickname in his head. "Uh yea that's alright. We gotta mix it up from time to time. How's your papers ?"

By the exasperated sigh leaving Sirius' lips, Remus nodded understandably. He laid 2 plates on the table, scooping a bigger helping for him tired roommate.

That domestic gesture made Sirius feel... giddy. Playful thoughts circled his mind like is this what it feels like to date Remus ?

As close as they got, the awkward bubble floated in the air. The weird I'm-seeing-you-more-than-just-my-roomie tension static between them.

Until one day, Sirius returns home with a cast.

Remus' jaw dropped as he hurriedly grabbed his backpack off him. "God what happened ?"

"Fractured my wrist. Had a dumb fall off the board."

Remus glared at the multicolored, self painted skateboard in Sirius' palm. He patted the bright pink cast.

"Hurts ?"

"Nah. I'm just worried about being a leftie for the next 3 weeks."

Then it dawns on Remus. A perfectly sane human, he'd have to accompany Sirius as much as he can. At least alleviate chores that would strain his arm.

It started with small things. Remus not letting Sirius carry the bags when they go grocery shopping. Not even letting hin drive home.

"I'm capable of driving with 1 arm Remus !" He protested.

The latter looked at him with pure disinterest. "I will force feed you liquid antibiotics."

A chill ran down Sirius' spine at the mention of the bitter liquid. A visible ick on his face. "Fine do as you wish, I'm sticking to my tablets."

With the sudden change, Sirius was also struggling.

Suddenly buttoning a shirt was far more complicated, tying hair not as easy and shoelacing became a not so quick 5 minute task.

"C'mon let me help." Remus watched as the hair tie fell between Sirius' foot.

"My arm is cramping." Sirius groaned.

The brown haired surgeon chuckled, reaching down for the thin tie. "Go sit on the floor. How high do you want it ?"

"Mid high, just above my ears please."

It was a quiet minute. Sirius felt himself slouch to Remus. The latter's trained fingers carding through his ravenous hair.

"Is it too tight ?"

Sirius had to un-daze his mind to come up with a coherent sentence.

"Yeah."

The moment ended as quick as it started. Remus moving his legs to stand up and Sirius kinda missed their closeness already.

Remus slid into the bathroom, threw water at his face then sighed. His heart was probably going faster than the athletes on campus. His face still heated. All that from just hair !

It was painfully obvious. The 2 of them caught feelings but neither wanting to make the first step.

***

Tuesdays are the only days they shared the same 8Am schedule. Sirius' annoyed whines coming from all around the house as he tried to keep up with his usual routine.

He brushed his teeth and put on some skin care. Then he noticed something on his usually shaven-clean face.

Stubble. An odd one at that ! It grew unevenly, popping up with different thickness.

Sirius hates asking for help. Especially knowing that Remus is busy preparing for himself. This would be the only time.

"You're asking me to what ?"

"Shave my face for me."

Remus hesitantly took the blue razor from Sirius' fingers. "Whaf if I cut you ?"

A snort. "You're a doctor Re. You're trained not to cut me."

Awkward silence.

"Okay you are trained to cut people BUT in this situation, I trust you not to."

Remus gave himself a 30 second peptalk.

It's fine ! Completely fine. It's just Sirius. .. 10 centimeters away from him.. looking at him.. that's his fingers on his face... It's just good ol' Sirius Black.. and his stupidly handsome face.

Sirius prays that the blood rushing to his cheeks went slower. He hopes he's not sweating or showing any signs of nervousness. How can he be calm ? Remus is RIGHT THERE.

"Hurts ?"

Sirius wanted to shake his head but that would end terrible. "N-no. It's fine."

Sirius takes his self care seriously. He has multiple serums and creams for almost every body part. Of course Remus knows this. Although he isn't a dermatologist, Sirius still made him read the ingredients for him.

Up close, Remus applauded the new rose lip mask he got. Sirius' usual pinkish lips looked much plumper. Looked like someone painted them on.

"You're staring."

Remus diverted his eyes to the stubborn facial hair. "Wasn't. You had a booger."

"It is not good to lie sweetheart."

His eyebrow lifted as his playful glare met Sirius' teasing smirk.

Alrigh then 2 can play this game.

Remus dropped the razor in the sink. He leaned closer, letting his palms rest on either side of the basin.

"What if I was looking ? Would you not want me to ?" He asked, basically whispering to Sirius' lips.

"Mmm I'd be delighted."

Sirius is proud to say he kissed Remus first. Little did Remus know, this story was going to repeat itself everytime they meet someone.

The still course chine rubbed on Remus' cheek. "You don't. know. how long I've been crushing on you."

Sirius' fingers played with the hair behind Remus' head. "You know I thought a fracture was going to be a pain. But if I get this treatment ? I might just go break my other."

Remus pinched his waist in warning. "Don't even think about breaking anything in your body."

"Yes doctor. Now, could you kiss me better ?"