171. Rekindle

There are a few tattle tale signs a relationship is about to end. Remus checks them off sadly.

1. Intense never-ending arguments

"You're blowing this out of proportion ! I just told you to take the trash out !" Sirius yells.

Remus rolls his eyes. "I just got home. Why can't you do it ?!"

They fight over the stupidest things. Usually, the bantering will end in a cuddle session or another type of cuddling. But now ? They just huff and go separate ways.

2. No communication

One of them gone before the other wakes up. Asleep before the other arrives.

Sirius lays awake at night, staring at the tidy side of their bed. He wonders how long this will last.

Suddenly the ring on his finger doesn't mean much. Does Remus still love him ?

He curls into himself. A hand clasps over his mouth to keep the whimpers from leaving. What if this is leading to a divorce ?

Remus comes home and sighs. Sirius is already asleep, scooted far away on his side. Remus wonders if Sirius'll push him away if he hugs him tonight.

He watches silently as Sirius' arm moves with his breathing. Remus studies the tattoos on his back, black ink mingling with freckles.

Remus doesn't know what he'll do, but he has to fix this. At least, try to get Sirius to love him again.

He knows midnight isn't exactly an ideal time but he dials Hope Lupin, a woman who's marriage lasted longer than his age.

Remus slips into the hall and whispers to the phone.

It's Hope's turn to sigh now. "Oh dear, it happens."

Remus feel his eyes water. "I love him mum. I really do, but I just feel like we're back to being strangers."

"Shh.. clear mind Remus, we have something to heal."

The son remembers that phrase well. From his childhood, when he accompanies Hope to the gardens and help her plant. Overexcitment lead to Remus cutting his hand. Her warmer ones slowly bandaged his while whispering the phrase.

"You love him right ?"

"Yes."

"Have you been showing it lately ?"

Remus falls silent. He rarely says "I love you" these days. He doesn't hear those back either.

Hope hums, getting the silence. "Hold him or talk to him, anything really. Show Sirius you still want him around. He might be second guessing himself."

Like I am, Remus thought.

He whispers goodnight and carefully goes back to their room.

His eyes met with Sirius.

"Is.. is Hope okay ?"

No doubt, Sirius probably heard the conversation.

"Yeah, she's just checking in." Remus feels guilt creep up his stomach. "Sirius.."

The other was already going back to sleep, figuring Remus didn't want to talk to him yet. But he answers, "Yes ?"

"Can.. can I hug you tonight ?"

It seems foolish, asking your own husband for a hug.

Sirius turns to face Remus. "Sure.. yeah."

Gingerly, Remus throws his arm around Sirius. His big palm smoothing the hair on Sirius' crown then stops to rest behind his head.

That night Sirius clasps a hand over his mouth again, this time out of joy.

In the morning, Remus is left hugging a bolster. Sirius must've escaped his hold, he sadly guessed.

Changing out of his pajamas, he completes his morning routine and after he was in his neat work attire, he goes to the kitchen to fix himself breakfast.

There Sirius was, toasting bread and frying ham. He even made his specialty Strawberry French Toast. Remus is shocked, he was getting used to Sirius leaving earlier for work.

"I-I figured you'd want something to eat," He says shyly, landing the hot plate on the table.

Sirius turns back quickly to avoid Remus' gaze. Why does he feel like a teenager again ?

Remus can't help but crack a small smile at his antics.

"Show Sirius you still want him around."

Sirius hears the chair creak. His heart sinks a little, that's way too short to call breakfast. Until he feels Remus stand behind him.

His arms circle around his waist and Remus rests his forehead on Sirius' shoulder. "Thank you for the toast."

Sirius blushes. "My pleasure."

His hand covers Remus' as they stood there for a while, enjoying the sun rays filtered in the kitchen.

But time is running out and Remus has to leave. Sirius, even though he was ready to go earlier than Remus, waited for him by the door.

"Umm do you want to go to the movies tonight ?" Sirius asks, his cheeks stretched to fit a smile.

Remus returns it, even adding a forehead kiss. "Yes, I'll pick you up at 7. Wanna go for Dimsum after ?"

Sirius heart soars. They're getting back !

"Yes, please."

Remus turns to open the door but a palm on his chest stops him. "Your tie, it's crooked. Let me-"

Remus misses this. Watching Sirius' eye brows knit in focus as his fingers expertly fixes the problem. With a light tug to his collar, the tie is right.

Sirius lingers a moment longer, basking in the skinship he misses for so long. You know what ? Fuck it, Remus is his.

Sirius buries his face in Remus' collar and pulls the taller into a hug. "I miss you."

He misses Remus when they're living together. Proves that sometimes people are distant even when they're right next to each other.

Remus hugs just as eagerly, even lifting Sirius off his feet. "Giyah ! Remus !" The smaller giggles, his legs kicking.

"I love you so much you know that right ?" Remus asks, his eyes holding so much emotion.

Sirius caresses his cheek and pecks his lips. "I know. And I love you too."

Remus tastes like toothpaste and mouth wash though, really, Sirius isn't complaining.

"Now, you have to go." Sirius pushes him away, playfulness edging his every move. "You'll be late."

Remus' hand holds onto Sirius' for as long as he could. "What if I took the day off ?"

Tempting.

Sirius slaps his butt lightly as he pushes Remus out the door. "We have a child to feed !"

By child, he means pet dog.

Remus' smile wasn't huge. It was curved like the moon, small but bright.
"Don't forget, at 7 movies. I'll pick you up at the parlor."

"It's a date." Sirius grins. "Now go !"

As Remus backs out of the driveway, he kept his eyes on Sirius who was wearing his shoes.

Dealing with a marriage gone stagnant isn't a one night fix but one night was all it needed to set thing in motion.

(Hope hears the good news later and sends them home made cookies for the winter.)