104. Home

Sirius was always told to be quiet.

"Don't speak unless spoken to."

"Don't talk mindless chatter."

"Discuss only for educational purposes."

Well, those are just other ways for telling him to shut up unless he was speaking as Orion's eldest boy, not Sirius Black.

He didn't have much of a choice either. It was be silent or get reprimanded. By hand or by wand, he'd rather not endure any.

So this continued until he first stepped on The Hogwart's Express. Sitting quietly with the other Pureblood kids. Unenthusiastically joining the my-family's-richer-than-yours marathon.

He blended himself into crowds as best as he could. But his surname always gets him around. By whispers or by physical form,  Sirius Black is everywhere.

When the Hat shouted, "Gryffindor !"

Sirius crumbled. The hall fell silent. Not one expected this to happen. A Black ? In the house of Lions ? Mcgonagall saw his face and ushered him to the end of her house's table. She whispered to the Prefect who seemed perplexed at Sirius on HIS table.

Sirius stared at his plate. The cheering and singing dying down in his head. He's a Gryffindor now. What will father say ?

The boy with thick rimmed glasses felt his uneasiness. So he dropped a brown sausage and some bread on his plate. "Eat, you'll feel better." He said.

Sirius looked up at him and murmured a thanks. He was told to be polite as much as he was told to be quiet. "It's alright mate. Gryffindor's not bad at all ! At least we aren't Hufflepuffs."

A croissant landed on his head, obviously aimed by one of the Hufflepuffs. Sirius' lips pulled into a thin smile. It felt weird to smile. The boy beamed back. "James Potter."

"Sirius Black." They shook hands and it was history.

***

The next few months were painful. Slytherins shoving him between classes. Gryffindors looking at him like he was the odd one out. His tablemate were all warry of him.

"Does the Black not have a mouth ? He never talks !" A chilling voice whispered behind him.

A poor attempt at whispering really. Sirius knew they weren't even trying to hide the fact they hated him.

"Don't listen to them. They've got mouths and that's what comes out of it, pure shit." His tablemate muttered beside him.

This boy had brown hair and scars literring his body. Sirius noticed he never opens his jumper even if it was blistering hot. "I'm Remus Lupin. We're roommates."

I know, Sirius wanted to answer. He nodded instead. Lupin him offered a small smile before looking away.

***

Another thing about the Great House of Black was their education. That means books, books and more books chucked into Sirius' hands each year.

He was already a disappointment. He wouldn't dare object the volumes of old books for him to read. But the problem is Sirius couldn't focus. Whatever he did, he just couldn't sit still and read.

By 4th year, the 4 roommates grew with each other. Knowing the next person like their own self. Gryffindor house seemed to open up to Sirius once they knew of his skills in Quidditch.

Though Sirius was still very much quiet. He flinches before high fives and avoids hugs. He'd rather stay at Hogwart's during Christmas break than go home.