163. Little Brother

Remus' back hit the stone wall harshly. He winced slightly as he staggered to regain balance but Regulus pointed his wand to his neck already.

"You. YOU STOLE SIRIUS." He growled.

Another hex landed on Remus' body. He slid down and stayed on the ground.

"Sirius could've been saved if he returned to the family. Not with you." Regulus spat. "You cannot protect him."

"I can and I will Black." Remus answered. "I have protected him. Something your parents failed to do. For him and you."

A flash of red light.

"Shut up ! You don't know anything about me."

The winter wind seemed to blow through Remus' robes. Who knew his nightly patrols around the Order's headquarters would turn into a run in with Regulus Black ?

"You lot turned him into a blood traitor." Regulus stood, towering over him. "He could've saved his name- our name- if only he'd never met you !"

Invisible ropes tied Regulus' body. His hands tight by his sides and his legs gave out. "Sirius !"

The boy tucked his wand back to his pocket and ran to Remus. He muttered a few enchantments to heal the wounds temporarily.

Remus' brown eyes wondered why'd he run to him first ?

Sirius kept muttering the spell even when he felt  Regulus' wand dig in the back of his head.

"Why are you saving him Sirius ?"

Sirius mouthed "stay down" at Remus before slowly standing to face his little brother.

"Because I love him Reg."

Regulus' wand arm wavered. "Your love won't save him or your weak Bloodtraitor friends from the Dark Lord."

The fury behind Regulus' grey eyes were enough to burn the whole castle. He turned to Remus. "I'll kill him then, so you'd return as the rightful Black heir."

Sirius stood in front of Remus. "I can't let you do that."

"Then I'll kill you."

The wand now pointed to Sirius' chest.

But the older brother wasn't fighting. His wand tucked in his pocket, his arms by his side. He had an endeared smile.

"Then do it." Sirius said calmly. "I'll pretend to die like how we used to duel at Grimmauld Place."

Regulus won't ever admit it. His eyes were watery and the hold on his wand grew weaker. In an instant, he's back to being the little boy who wants his older brother back.

"Kill me Regulus." Sirius pressed the tip of his wand with his own fingers. "Mother will be proud."

Regulus' wand arm lowered. "I can't."

"Why are you saving me little brother?"  Sirius gave him smile. The same playful smile he had in their childhood.

Regulus couldn't answer though Sirius didn't have to hear it to know.  The older pulled him to a hug.

"Run, Regulus." He whispered. "While you still have the chance."

"I can't Sirius. You know that." Regulus shook his brother's arms off. "I'm not you."

Remus finally strong enough to stand  up. "Join us Regulus."

Remus finds himself looking into the same grey eyes. But this pair had hurt and hopelessness in them.

"You above all people should know I can't. I'll endanger everyone." Regulus said gravely.

He stepped back into the woods the way he came. "Do you love my brother Remus ?"

"Yes, I do. I love him very much."

Regulus nodded. "Then keep your promise. Keep him alive."

The younger Black apparated and it was just them and the snow again.

Sirius' eyes kept staring at the spot Regulus stood. Remus knows that look very well. It's all the love he wants to give but can't.

Remus hugged him from behind. "I'm sorry Sirius."

Sirius buried his face in Remus' neck. The other didn't needed to say anything, he lets Sirius wet his collar.

He just lost his brother again.

***

Meanwhile Regulus knew what he must do. He apparates to a cave by a violent ocean. Inside was a horcrux,  he's sure of it.

As the fire burnt and the skeletons pull him under, he smiles.

He just found his brother again.