205. Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy

"Did you do it ?" Remus' voice trembled.

He sits on the cold floor, hands gripping the bars to Sirius' temporary cell. He tries not to cry. Why should he ? He's not the one sentenced to life in Azkaban.

"Please Sirius," he begs tearfully. "I have to tell them... please tell me."

Sirius sits in the far corner, shaded in the darkness.  He couldn't say anything. Afterall, who would choose him over a dead man ? Who would listen to Remus, his bestfriend and lover ?

"Sirius.." Remus calls again.

"Would you believe me if I said I didn't?" Sirius finally speaks.

Silence. Remus tries to say it. Deep down he knows his answer. Yes, Sirius is innocent! But his best friends are dead and his lover walks away unscathed.

Sirius crawls to wear Remus sits. He reaches through the bars to wipe the tears stains. His palm feels the hiccups and the warm cheek.

"I know you don't believe me," he sighs. "If I can't even convince you, noone will be."

Remus leans to the palm and closes his eyes. He imagined another life. Where the palm he's resting on is warm instead of cold. Where the tears rolling down are of happiness not of doubt, fear and pain.

His own hand covers Sirius'. He's drained. His body screams that it's tired and he wants everything to stop. God ! Would it be such a tall order to believe his lover is telling the truth ?

"I know you didn't. I know.." Remus murmurs.

"Do you remember that night in Hogwart's? Good Old Fashioned Loverboy played for the first time on radio and I made you dance with me ?"

Remus looks up to Sirius' mercury eyes that shone with the moonlight. He nods, a fresh batch of tears rains down. Ironically, he cracks a smile.

"Yeah, 5th year. You sang every word to me."

Sirius mirrors his nostalgia soaked face.

"I'd like for you and I to go romancing.." He starts his favorite verse.

The line he used to get Remus out on their first date. The line he sings to tease his werewolf. The line he pokes Remus with each time he wants them to go on another date.

His thumb taps Remus' cheek lightly. "C'mon you know the lyrics."

It's hard to get Remus to sing on a good day. His voice is a rare waterfall Sirius comes across. Maybe it'll water for him tonight.

"Say the word.." Remus lets out, his confidence wavers with the croaky voice that left his lips.

"...your wish is my command." Sirius finishes with an endeared curve of his own lips.

Remus lets his head drop on to the bars. Sirius presses a longing kiss on his forehead. His lips linger a little more than they usually would.

"When I'm not with you." Remus startles Sirius by keeping the song going.

"Think of me always."

Remus whispers "Love you" like it was a secret. Only for Sirius' ears.

Suddenly they weren't in the Ministry's holding room, whatever number of floors beneath the earth. Sirius imagines them in the green plains by the lake. His head on Remus' chest and he'd hear those three words whispered to him. He'd be addicted.

A soft knock ends the dream. Kingsley appears in the doorway, his wand at the ready. Sirius is flattered. Even when he's stuck behind bars, wandless and weakened, the auror sees him as such a threat.