118. Run Away Bride

before u guys continue, this is a half tear jerker. just sayin. AND i purposely did not name the bride because i cant do my girl Tonks like that 😭😭 and character wise, i think Tonks wouldve understood if this was the circumstance sooo she wouldnt fit the "bride" role im writing.
---------------------------------

Sirius hated every moment of it. How he watched the woman walk along the aisle. He hated glancing at Remus and finding him looking joyous.

The other night, a knock rapped on his door. "Sirius ? It's me."

Sirius didn't have to ask who. He opened the door for Remus, letting him in with a cup of tea. He seemed nervous yet excited Sirius noted.

"I have to ask you for a favour." He started.

Anything, Sirius' mind quipped but be stayed silent, letting Remus continue."

"I'm getting married."

what ?

Sirius knows Remus was dating someone. He had a little hope for them to happen. It's mean, he knows, to wish his bestfriend heartbreak. He didn't expect Remus to break the news and his heart simultaneously.

"Oh that's-that's great ! When ?"

Remus seemed to let himself go. "In 2 weeks. I know ! I know very surprising. We didn't want to scare you guys. Now, I want to ask you to do a speech."

A speech. Of course, a speech.

"Right sure.. sure.."

The conversation rang in his mind again today. The guests awed and cooed as the bride walked down. Sirius felt his chest twist.

James glanced at his side. Slipped his hand into Sirius' and squeezed tight. "Breathe Sirius." He whispered, voice dripping sympathy.

The priest started talking. Sirius tuned him out. He felt like a wax statue, standing there with a false smile.

Remus' attention was undivided, or so it seems.

They kissed and it was all a blur. Suddenly clapping erupted everywhere, a flash of white as they ran down the aisle and gone to the courtyard.

The church hall empty except for a the dusty pink flower petals scattered on the floor. Lily looked back at him, whispered something to James then he felt her smaller figure against his chest.

"Let go Sirius, it's okay. I can tell Remus you had a stomach emergency." Lily felt the tears wet her shoulder.

She looked to her side, at James who rubbed Sirius' back.

"I'm fine.. I'm okay." Sirius sniffed. His red eyes unmistakable.

James pressed their foreheads together. "Oh Sirius..."

They walked to the courtyard together, where guests sat and ate. Enjoying the new couple's ball dance.

Sirius cracked into a smile as he saw Remus doubling over in laughter,  champagne spilling all over his suit.  He came just in time for the honored speech.

Mrs. Lupin spoke, the bride's dad spoke, James spoke, Lily Spoke then it was his turn. His sweaty fingers grabbed the black mic.

"Hi."

The guests chuckled at his tone.

"If you all aren't aware, I am Sirius Black."

They chuckle again because who doesn't know him ?

"Remus, my darling boy, you're married. That's crazy, a milestone I couldn't imagine."

Just like you practiced Sirius.

I have to tell him. No. Yes ?

"I'm thankful for love. Thankful that you can experience it with someone. That you feel if coursing through your veins each time you share it.

Now falling in love is easy. If you're with the right person, love comes naturally. Like the sound of a snap after you snap your fingers. The task is staying in it. Staying in that bubble of pure care for each other."

His lips trembled. This is it, this is the moment. Remus will hate his guts for real now.

"Like I did, with you Remus. I loved-no, love you. I stayed in it. I'm happy for you Remus. But I couldn't lie to myself."

The bride looked livid. She stood up along with her bridesmaids looking like she could throttle Sirius.

"Be happy. Make her happy. Live long and stay in love." He smiled and set the mic down.

The crowd gasped as he walked out, disappearing off church grounds. He unbuttoned his suit jacket and sighed, leaning on his black sedan.

"Sirius Sirius.. there goes your life huh ?" He muttered to himself.

Screaming came from a distance. Sirius felt himself shrink. Yup, that's definitely his doing.

The yelling came closer. Coming to his direction. Yup, the bride's here to officially end me.

But the first person he sees wasn't a frantic, angry woman in white. It was Remus. The familiar mischievous grin on his face as he shouted. "Turn the car on ! C'mon! Get in !"

Sirius thought he was warning him to go so he did. Slid into his Benz and revved it on, ready to drive off when the passenger door slammed open and Remus jumping in.

"What are you doing ?" Sirius asked bewildered.

"I can't lie to myself either."

The angry crowd closer now. Remus stopped himself from leaning in for a kiss.

"GO GO DRIVE !"

Sirius barked a laugh and stomped on the gas.

Who was he to stop Remus from being honest ?