121. Tub

Remus laid his head back on the wall. His head swam and sloshed like the water surrounding his body. From under his drooped eyelids, he could see Sirius kneeling by the tub. Messy mop of black resting on it.

"I need to drain the tub. You're turning it into a mini red sea."

It's true. Remus felt the warm water lick his open wounds. The crimson bleeding into its clarity.

As soon as the drain opened, cold took its warmth. Remus shivered slightly but  he doesn't have the energy to ask for a towel. Luckily, Sirius has a sixth sense.

"I need to soak the blood out."

"Hmm. Do whatever." Remus managed.

Warm water filled half the tub. Sirius dunked the towel and carefully pressed on one of the gashes on Remus' chest.

Remus couldn't hiss. The pain is not a stranger to him anymore. Every month he rearranges his body to fit the wolf. And every month, without fail, Sirius would be there to patch him up.

The boy would come with Remus' favourite sweet cakes and wait the night out with him as Padfoot. It reminded them of sleepless nights back in Hogwarts. It's just them now.

After cleaning, Sirius let the tub fill to the brim. Knowing Remus liked the good soak. He took the time to get him something to fill his stomach.

But a weak grip on his arm stopped him.

"Don't go."

"Okay, I won't." Sirius whispered back.

It was quiet. Remus let Sirius properly hold his hand. His head still leaning on the wall. Sirius kept his eyes on his chest. To make sure it rise and fell, keeping him alive.

"Would you marry me Remus ?"

It came out of the blue. Sirius just watching the werewolf prior to his oddly placed proposal. That stirred Remus into a chuckle. Or maybe more of a grunt.

"Is this your plan ? Getting me woozy and asking that ?"

Sirius smiled. "Well, I was going to sedate you and move your things to my house."

A pop of brown eyes bore into Sirius'. He noticed his breathing slow into a calm pace.

"Are you serious ?"

"You want me to answer that ?"

Remus playfully threw his hand away. "We aren't even dating. Bold move, skipping first base."

"I know what I feel." Sirius paused. "Nevermind, answer me tomorrow when you're better."

With that Sirius stood up to get a change of clothes. Outside the bathroom, he closed his eyes. What was he thinking ?

At least Remus didn't seem overly against the idea.  I mean, he hasn't thrown Sirius out of his house yet.

He came back to Remus sitting on the tub's side. A towel poorly wrapped around his waist.

Sirius dumped the clothes in the sink and rushed to hold Remus' body up.

"What are you doing !? You're going to fall-"

"I can use the 'I fell for you' thing." 

If it wasn't for the circumstances, Sirius would've been blushing. That was a bright neon sign saying "Hey ! Remus might just marry you !"

Sirius made him sit on the closed toilet. His hand hand expertly cutting up rolled bandages. "Do you want to sleep shirtless ? Some of these are pretty deep."

"Is this your way of getting me naked Black ?"

"I'm close to drowning you in the tub."

Remus' cheeks pushed upwards in a cute giggle. "Just wrap me up, I'll see about shirtless later."

After looking like a mummy, Sirius helped Remus on the bed. Covering him in soft wool. His work is done and it's time for him to go home.

"Stay Sirius."

"Getting me in your bed already ?"

Remus press his foot to Sirius' waist, giving him a little nudge. "I change my mind, you should leave."

But Sirius was already in clean clothes and climbing under the covers with him. Remus instantly moving closer, his good arm resting on Sirius' stomach.

"Yes by the way."

Yes ?

"To what ?"

Remus actually craned his neck to look at Sirius. This man can't be real right ?

"Us marrying silly !"

Suddenly the night felt nice. Like the world gave them space in one of its corners.

Sirius breathed a content sigh. Remus' head adding a nice weight as he sank. His fingers running through Remus' damp hair.

"That's a relief. Thank fuck."

He leaned down and kissed his forehead. This was more than he ever dreamed of.