108 - There Might be a Third Party

* * *

"I need you," Laotian said as soon as his call connected. It's a simple phrase but it's something Laotian rarely used that when the receiver heard it, he suddenly couldn't believe what his ears had perceived. It was the exact phrase he had been dreaming to hear from his older brother ever since he was little. Laotian may have said the same phrase to him before but this was the first time that the Alpha had said it so genuinely, it caught Hanlu off guard.

"I also need to go and see my son," Hanlu said after recovering from his stunned reaction. Of course, he too just received the news and he and Ian are currently preparing to go back as soon as possible. As much as he wanted to help his older brother like he did before, he can't be missing when his son needs him the most.

"I'm asking you to go after," Laotian said, as he halted his walk when one of his men handed him proper clothes to cover his bandaged-filled upper torso. "Daniel needs me, I can't go missing," Laotian added, his tone sounding defeated, making Hanlu unable to talk back. The image of Laotian when Daniel got into an accident more than three years ago flashed in Hanlu's mind and his heart fluttered in pain. Back then, when he saw his older brother at his lowest, Hanlu promised he wouldn't want his older brother to be that way ever again. Mo Laotian might not be the greatest brother to him but knew Mo Laotian cared for him despite him not showing it.

"I want to help you, but--"

"That is all I need to know," Hanlu was just about to say that he would help him depending on Lan's situation but he wasn't able to finish it when Laotian already interrupted him.

"I haven't finished talking yet," Hanlu said, slightly frowning.

"I know. You wanting to help me is enough," Laotian said softly, making Hanlu tremble. His frown deepened as his mind turned wild.

"W-Who are you and what did you do to my brother!? Depending on your answer, I will let you live unscathed. Make mistakes and I will find you wherever you are on Earth!" Hanlu said, alarmed. His brother had never been gentle when talking to him, it was always in a demanding or bored tone. No matter what the situation is, he would never accept that the Alpha could change this much, so there must be someone posing as his older brother. Maybe trying to make him come so they could catch and kill him.

"Hanlu," Hearing Hanlu's doubtful response, Laotian's voice went cold as he called the younger Alpha.

"Y-Yes?" Straightening his back, Hanlu heard his older brother's usual irritated monotonic voice and he couldn't help but shiver.

"I'll see you back home and discuss this further," Laotian said and quickly hung up. He then looked at his assistant now standing next to him. "Prepare to fly back as soon as possible," Laotian said and started to walk again. Since his and Gouta's enemies had been desperate to put him to rest after knowing that the man was a huge threat in the upcoming election, the place they're at now was most likely surrounded. If they leave now, they'll most likely be ambushed. Laotian had to think of a plan to escape and fly back to Daniel.

"Yes Sir," the assistant replied, nodding. Gouta heard Laotian's command and even though he understands that the Alpha should go back as soon as possible for his family, their current situation just doesn't allow that.

"Mr. Mo, I understand your reasoning, but it'll be dangerous for you to go out, especially when you're still healing," Gouta mentioned, highlighting the fact that the Alpha just got over a fever due to infection. For the past days that he met Mo Laotian, his impression was that the man was very calm. He takes time to think of his plans, he's very meticulous, and hardworking. He does not see the Alpha as someone who would decide on something impulsively, especially when their safety was involved.