109 - No Time to Waste

* * *

Massive lenses pointing directly at his face, Gouta Malisili, currently running for the 7th president of the Republic of Botswana, smiled as he continued his speech. After his speech, he patiently answered all questions, despite some of the questions purposely targeting him.

Today's press conference wasn't supposed to happen, but due to Mo Laotian's plan to divert their enemy's attention, last night they abruptly called everyone to have brief question and answer portion today, knowing that a lot of people were really following his journey to the presidency. A majority of the population of the Republic of Botswana were almost sure Gouta Malisili will soon mysteriously die; it might come out as Gouta having a terminal disease or maybe unluckily caught in an accident. This is because that's just how it's been in the country.

The current president will soon end his term but he had a successor that he was openly supporting. Everyone knew how the current president deals with things, and for Gouta Malisili to still make enemies with them, his bravery and dedication was quite admirable. People were praying for him to be elected as the 7th president of the country, but at the same time, they won't be surprised if he was one day found dead before the election ends.

"Are you really confident you can win the election despite only having 3 years' experience as a politician?" One of the reporters asked, making Gouta smile at her.

"I'd like to say I am confident but we all know that's not it. If I am elected as the next president, I'll do my best to purify the whole country," Gouta said, indicating that he will be eliminating anything that will tarnish the country's economic development during his term. People are suffering due to the current administration. Before he became a politician, he thought the problem was the people's discipline. He thought the poor become poorer because of the people themselves, but he was proven wrong when he learned how corrupt the system of their Government was. The poor became poorer because the government didn't help them, instead, they robbed them.

He was able to elevate his town and its people's condition but he knew that was not enough to help them in the long term. He needed to be at the very top of the government position to do that. It was not because he was confident and it was also not because he was brave. Actually, he hated to be in a position where he was constantly being targeted. He hated being constantly worried about his life. He craved freedom, but at the same time, he knew that the freedom he was dreaming of would never be granted with the current situation of the country. There had to be someone who needed to sacrifice to fix everything and he was willing to put his life on the line to do it.

Gouta Malisili loved his country so dearly, it had the capability to become one of the richest in Africa, but its people were exploiting it. Now, if helping Mo Laotian get out would guarantee him his full support and protection, he would do just about anything to make it happen.

"What can you say about your only rival, how do you feel that our current president openly supports him?" She asked again. Gouta patiently listened and answered. As of this moment, his mission was to draw all attention to him for the next 20 minutes while Mo Laotian prepared for their escape.

The plan was to intimidate the assassins sent to kill Gouta and later trick them into thinking he's still at his mansion. Because the conference was happening in the mansion, it should at least make them hesitate to attack, knowing that the place was filled with people. They are assassins after all, they would avoid crowded places if they could and they wouldn't attack their target knowing that there might be people who will witness it. If there's a chance to escape the place, it should be now. Although Gouta's mansion was the safest place they could be in right now, that wouldn't matter if they could die the moment they step out of it.