Chapter 20: You Are My Faith (I)

TL : Snowy Codex

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shang Ke wore a black robe, and he was holding a sword that was still dripping blood. Standing in front of him was a dead body, while a six to seven year old little girl was sitting not even ten meters from him. She was covered in blood, her expression dim, blankly looking at him with a pair of pure eyes.

f*ck! The person he transmigrated as this time wasn't a serial killer, was he? This kind of bloody scene, this villainous appearance, it wasn't his style at all!

Following this, he began to receive the world's information from the System, along with the original's memories.

This was a continent named "Turan." Several hundred years ago, in the abyss of the marsh that took up the middle of the continent, a strange tree grew. It was able to give off a devil qi that could erode the soul. It then turned people into its apostles, urging them to slaughter and cause disasters. In this manner, it could absorb their spirits and release darkness.

The people of Turan thus started to call it the "Devil's Tree."

The only thing that could control the devil qi was the power of faith. The power of faith was not restricted to religion or God, and it also included love, affection, friendship, money, authority, and so on.

The power of faith's main use was amplification, where the firmer one's faith was, the higher the amplification of their power. The way that their faith was exhibited were also different, with different attributes. For example, two people whose faiths were in battle and power would have related faiths, but the directions they each go in were entirely different. The former might become a strong fighter, while the latter might become a politician.

Their shared similarity was that, as long as their faiths were strong enough, they could resist against the devil qi's erosion.

However, people's heart are complicated, and everyone has their own dark side. The moment that darkness has formed in one's heart, it will begin to draw in devil qi. Small amounts of devil qi can be dispelled through willpower and faith, but for those with weak hearts and scheming natures, the devil qi will weaken and corrupt them. After that, they will gradually be reduced to being apostles for the Devil's Tree.

After turning into apostles, the Devil's Tree will become their faith. They will then be able to obtain the Devil's Tree's dark power, and bring disaster to the land.

The person who Shang Ke had taken over was a devil apostle, a very strong devil apostle. His name was "Osari," someone who had entered the number one college, Light Ode College, as the top student and was a publically known genius. Many people had been paying attention to him, both good and bad.

His faith was in "being number one". He had always liked to fight for number one ever since he was young, and was determined to become the number one fighter on the continuent, not losing to anyone. However, two years later, he received his first defeat since coming of age.

He met someone whose genius was evenly matched with his, and moreover, that person was younger than him by two years. The moment that he joined the school, Osari's number one title was snatched, and his subsequent battles were few in victories and abundant in losses. The blow that hit him the hardest was their graduation battle, where the other completely dominated and defeated him. It was only then that he realized that the other had always hid his strength, and he lost without any dignity left.

Osari, whose faith was in "being number one," could not accept the reality of defeat, and resentment grew in his heart. Afterwards, he traveled far away, and no news of him was ever heard again.