Chapter 74: I Am Not A Merman (XI)

Shang Ke noticed that the growth rate of the mermen was very slow. Two month old infants would have grown to at least twice their initial size, but the two mermen were nearly the same size as when they were born. The only change was in their tail. The translucent pink, fleshy quality of the tails had disappeared, replaced by a pale ash-blue. They could swim in shallow water for dozens of minutes, but as soon as they entered the deeper areas, they would sink to the bottom, struggling to swim back up to no avail.

Besides the outsider breeder Shang Ke, there were three researchers in charge of taking care of them. Because the mermen were still too young to be confirmed as stable, they mainly performed standard examinations and observations without any live experimentation.

Shang Ke was pleased with their attitude. He had hoped that, while the young merchildren could not make their own decisions, others would not take their lives lightly.

Shang Ke stood in the water, holding the little merman and carefully feeding him. The little merman lay in the crook of his arm, his tail swishing from side to side as his eyes glanced around at his surroundings in curiosity.

The other little merman that had already had his fill was lying in the shallow water, staring unblinkingly at Shang Ke and his little brother.

The two little guys were each named "Yu Miao" and "Yu Ge", chosen by Shang Ke and Qin Yuan. The other scientists did not care for these names. They just called them by number.

After coaxing the two to sleep, Shang Ke tidied things up and left.

He happened to run into the research institute leader when he was leaving the laboratory so Shang Ke smiled and greeted him politely. But the other only nodded coldly and turned away.

Shang Ke did not really like the research leader, not because he and Qin Yuan did not get along, but because of the way he ignored animal life. If it wasn't Qin Yuan in control, his methods of researching wouldn't be so restrained.

However, Shang Ke had still underestimated this man's coldness.

The next day, when Shang Ke arrived at the laboratory, he discovered that one of the mermen was missing. Following the passing researcher's enthusiastic discussion, Shang Ke looked into another tank and found Yu Miao.

Shang Ke couldn't quite understand what he saw at first, torn between shock, sickness and a boiling rage. The little merman's appearance had undergone an immense change. His face was twisted and deformed, a light blue carapace was growing out of his back and his small hands had turned pincer-shaped. His tail was split into two, greatly resembling... a lobster!

"What the hell is going on?!" Shang Ke furiously glared at the researchers.

One of them replied, "Leader used the little merman and a lobster to perform a frequency resonance test. The result is as you see."

The eyes they used to look at the little merman were full of amazement, along with rejection and a fear toward the unknown.

Frequency resonance test! The little mermen have the genes of dolphins. In other words, they were guaranteed to inherit the dolphin's assimilation ability and be able to turn into other organisms. But they were still so young, so they are unlikely to change by themselves.

However, the research leader's experiment induced a premature change in the infant.

The little merman in the water tank sensed Shang Ke's nearby and gradually unfolded his curled body. With his back deformed and inflexible he swam toward Shang Ke, crying softly. Humans would not be able to hear it, but Shang Ke could understand it clearly.