Chapter 77: I Am Not A Merman (XIV)

【Additional Mission 2: Prevent Dipson from spreading the mutated gene.】

Shang Ke's entire body quivered in response to the System's voice. The last death mission had been released.

Prevent Dipson from spreading the mutated gene? What mutated gene? Could the System please point it out?

【System Notice: Dipson's mutated gene can force humans to irreversibly assimilate other organisms. Here is an image of Dipson's current appearance— (:◎)≡, please take note to protect your nose, mouth and hands against his excretions.】

Shang Ke: "......"

After seeing Dipson's mutated form, Shang Ke simply could not believe that this soft-bodied, tentacled, human-faced squid monster was actually him. Just how desperate must this man be to experiment on his own body?

Judging the breed by the lesser mutated parts of him, Shang Ke concluded that he was some form of a Giant Squid. According to what he already knows about the species, the Giant Squid was a powerful creature that dared do bloody battle with even a sperm whale. However, Giant Squids were extremely large. Even while young, they would usually be at least three meters in length. However, Dipson's mutated body was roughly only thirty centimeters long. He hasn't practiced some form of body-shrinking technique, has he?

Shang Ke was still immersed in his thoughts when Qin Yuan walked over wearing a dark expression, his body emitting an icy aura that he had yet to be dispelled.

"What's wrong?" Shang Ke asked.

"Nothing." Qin Yuan sat on the bedside and ruffled his hair. His tightly knitted brows somewhat relaxed.

Shang Ke paused for a moment, then asked again, "Did something happen over there with Dipson?"

"It's fine." Qin Yuan did not want Flames to worry, so he decided not to tell him about the situation with Dipson for the time being. It was an oversight on his part this time. He hadn't expected Dipson to have used the transformation gene on himself to turn into another organism in order to successfully run away.

From the material he left behind, they were guessing he might have assimilated with some kind of soft-bodied organism's gene. They still needed time to find out which exact species it was.

Shang ke noticed that, no matter how much this man's appearance and identity changed, his essence remained the same. He knew him well enough that he could accurately analyze his mood from the micro-expressions on his face and his body language. Judging by his current appearance, Qin Yuan had already met with the human-faced squid up close, otherwise, he would not be leaking as much killing intent over his escape.

Shang Ke thought a bit and felt that he needed to give him a warning, "Qin Yuan, the dolphin gene cannot be used for forceful human genetic modifications. The transformation would be irreversible. If someone were to spread it, it would be hard to anticipate the results."

"Irreversible?" Qin Yuan quickly asked back, "You mean, this kind of change is one-directional? The moment someone turns into another organism, they would be unable to turn back into a human?"

"Yes." Shang Ke nodded.

A pondering expression overtook Qin Yuan's features, and after a moment, he got up. "Flames, have a good rest. I will come back to see you later."

In a certain place under the sea, the squid that was once Dipson bore a twisted face. His whole body was twitching while his copper, bell-sized eyes were bloodshot and manic. Angry and pained shook the waters around him and scared away shoals of tiny fish.