Chapter 66: I Am Not A Merman (III)

"Dr. Cui, have you found something?" Qin Yuan asked the very emotional Dr. Cui when he arrived at the laboratory.

Dr. Cui pointed at the screen and said with disbelief, "The blood we drew from Flames and other tissue samples contain a miraculous compound. Through our repeated tests, we found that it can quickly promote cell growth and evolution, restore damage and even change the of an organism. I am certain that there is a significant change in the DNA of Flames compared to the dolphins two hundred years ago. I should say, he has evolved from them."

"Does this alteration endanger Flames in any way?" Qin Yuan asked worriedly.

"At the moment, we have not found anything dangerous. On the contrary, if our speculations are correct, Flames should be even more healthy and long-lived than earlier dolphins." Dr. Cui paused, then spoke again, "I think that the dolphin epidemic two hundred years ago, rather than being a natural disaster, perhaps was more of a cruel natural filter. Over the last four hundred years, humans have suffered from a global FD virus invasion. It has snatched away over a hundred million lives. The people who survived, not only had the basic foundation of their body greatly enhanced, but their body functions also underwent different levels of development. The universal belief is that this kind of development is some kind of special form of evolution."

Qin Yuan coldly interrupted him, "This so-called evolution permanently damaged humanity's ability to reproduce and the population's birth rate is on a straight decline. In the last year, the number of children born did not exceed forty-million. This is surveying the entire world. The situation is critical."

The current human life expectancy was at about 180 years, yet the birth rates were reduced six-fold. Only one in every five couples would bear a single child. Even using In Vitro Fertilisation and other scientific methods, the rate of pregnancy still only at 37%.

"I believe that humanity will be very quick to solve this problem." Dr. Cui was rather confident about it, so he did not care too much. At the present time, he was more concerned about the two remaining dolphins.

Qin Yuan did not plan to go into a deep discussion and switched subjects, "How old is Flames?"

"He's around twelve or thirteen, right in the age for maturity."

Matured at twelve to thirteen? From what Qin Yuan knows, the average lifespan of wild dolphins were about fifty years. According to a human standard, Flames should still be a child.

"Does this mean Waves is not Flames' child?" Qin Yuan asked again.

"No." Dr. Cui answered, "We've already done a DNA test, they are not directly related. There might be other dolphins living in the ocean, but our exploration team hasn't found them."

Hearing that Waves wasn't Flames' child, Qin Yuan felt the strangest sort of smug happiness bubble in his heart.

After he exited the research room, purely out of habit Qin Yuan headed for the pool.

At the moment, Flames was leading the small dolphin around and leaping out of the water. That cheerful and lighthearted scene caused his cold face to soften without his permission, not that he noticed it to prevent it.

Qin Yuan looked up at the gloomy sky. There would be a rainstorm in two days, he needs to start preparations early.

The next day, Shang Ke and Waves were led to the inner pools of the base. There, several areas were zoned off into separate enclosures hosting several different types of marine life.

The change in the weather sent the marine life in the base into unrest. They transmitted to each other information in a language that humans could not understand.