Chapter 86: Covenantor (IX)

After the birthday party, all the major newspapers published feature articles on the banquet, publicizing to the world Shang Ke's identity and his relationship with Lu Xiufan. The news that Yue Family's eldest son was 'living together' with His Excellency Lu Xiufan spread even faster. The public was supportive of this pair of lovers and it was widely agreed upon that the declining Yue Family's would be able to make a rapid comeback.

Lu Xiufan ignored the gossip, focusing instead on investigating the poisoning incident. At the banquet, he'd personally poured his own wine so there were few people who came in contact with the wine, making the scope of the investigation fairly manageable. Also, seeing as every inch of the palace was under surveillance, even if there someone managed to infiltrate the party or was already there as an insider, there was no way they could have done anything without getting caught. There was a reason assassination attempts on Lu Xiufan were rare inside the palace.

The fact that someone would dare plot within the palace was an indication that Lu Xiufan was getting closer to the truth in one of his investigations, and becoming a greater threat to someone than was welcome.

Lu Xiufan's thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come in." Lu Xiufan's continued to read through the document in his hands. It wasn't until he smelled the scent of medicine that he lifted his head. Seeing the person who entered, the frost in his eyes melted.

"It's time to take your medicine." Shang Ke placed a bowl of medicine in front of Lu Xiufan.

Lu Xiufan glanced down at the piping hot bowl of liquid, his brows furrowed in disgust. He forced himself to down the contents in one gulp under Shang Ke's attentive gaze.

"Little Ze, how many more times will I have to take this medicine?" He asked helplessly.

"Today was the last time." Immediately upon saying this, Lu Xiufan's brow smoothened and his expression reflected renewed high spirits.

Shang Ke hid a laugh as he handed over a plate of pudding and chocolate to help relieve the bitter taste.

Lu Xiufan said, "Compared to these desserts, I think your kiss is much sweeter."

Shang Ke bent down and gave his lips a kiss.

Not expecting to actually receive a kiss, Lu Xiufan was left dumbfounded for a second. But laying eyes upon Shang Ke, tenderness filled his heart. It was likely that only this person would never fear him, abhor him or try to leave him.

Lu Xiufan held Shang Ke in his arms as he said softly, "Little Ze, I hope that someday it is not for the contract that you want to stay with me, to obey me."

Shang Ke was too perfect. If it weren't for him being a covenantor, Lu Xiufan would never be able to have him. Except a covenantor's life expectancy was short. In less than ten years, Lu Xiufan would have to face the pain of losing him.

Lu Xiufan's eyes burned with determination; there's no way he would allow that to happen!

"Little Ze, I'm going to be leaving on a trip tomorrow and it'll probably be seven or eight days before I return. You just wait for me at home."

"Alright," Shang Ke nodded, knowing that the trip was probably to track down the source of the leak. While he really wanted to go as well, suddenly suggesting it would be too abrupt. It was better to just stay in the mansion and keep a close eye on the situation for now.

Before he left, Shang Ke gifted Lu Xiufan a sharp, compact scalpel. His thinking was that, in the event that Lu Xiufan expended all the bullets he had on hand, he would be left defenseless. So, he gave him a scalpel as a last resort, in case of emergencies.