Chapter 2: Life at the orphanage

Uzumaki Naruto's childhood, I would like to say, has been like any other child, rather, orphan child. However, that can't be said, can it? Not after we know who he hosts/ jails/ represents (?)/ reincarnates (The villagers sure have great imagination that shuts off their common sense). But it was a bit better, thanks to the mistress of the orphanage, Tenshika Hima, the good friend of Namikaze Minato and his wife Uzumaki Kushina. However, she was the mistress for hardly the first 3 years of Naruto's life, but nevertheless, she made a great impact on the kid. She was the only one who was confided with, the wishes, instructions of Minato and Naruto's heritage (i.e., parents' names). She doesn't hate the kid, but absolutely adores him, even before he was born.

Following time-skipped conversations with our favourite blonde 'boy' reveal some interesting things.

"Naruto-chan, how are you? My name is Hima, I'm your Mama, you get it?" Baby Naruto giggles and plays with Hima's fingers. "He likes you already." Sandaime says. Hima replies," I'll be bummed if he doesn't, after all, I was the one who made he-" "Hima-chan!" "Gomen, Sandaime-sama, I mean, I was the one who made his parents go through their first date, when both were shy enough to stay away (sigh). Minato, I understand, but Kushina?! Well, seeing the changes in her behaviour, it should have been comprehensible then." "I know Hima-chan. Listen, don't let that slip happen ever again. You know that more than anyone else, right?" "Hai, Hokage-sama."

_______________________________________________________________

"Mama Hima!" "Naruto-chan's first words!" Hima teared up at that. The 1-year-old baby crawled up and wiped her tears. She smiled and kissed him on the cheek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mama, I wanna ask something." Naruto asked hesitantly. "What is it Naruto-chan?" "The other big people here are a bit different." Hima was suspicious and asked "How?" "Ano, they glare suddenly, one called me demon..." Hima's worst fears were confirmed. "Mama, am I a demon?" "No Naruto-chan, you are not." "Then why do they look at me like that? Kodan makes a lot of mischief, but even he doesn't get beatings..." Kodan was a 5-year-old orphan. Hima hugged him and reassured him. "Look Naruto-chan, I will tell you this story another time, when I see the surroundings fit. But you are not a demon." Naruto nodded and understood that this was a secret."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mama! Tell me a bedtime story!" Naruto asked one day. 'Might as well entertain him with his parents' stories anonymously little by little. He is a kid too smart for his own good. I won't be able to stay any longer with him." Hima thought and said, "Okay, here is one. Naruto-chan, you do know that I was once a shinobi, don't you?" He nodded. "Well, one day, after returning from a mission with two certain team-mates," "By certain, you mean those who were too shy to confess to each other?" Hima laughed, "Yes, well the male dragged me aside quickly, he was nervous and fidgeting a lot. I've never seen him like that. Turns out, he wanted to propose her but had a million doubts." She laughed at the memory. 

"Propose?" was the innocent question. "That means, to ask one person to stay with them forever. If the other person accepts, then they are said to be officially engaged. It is adult stuff." Hima didn't mind telling all this to a 2 ½ year old kid. She knew her limits and had taught him his limits, also, she wasn't telling too much. He knew to respect people's personal privacies. However, one of the reasons she believes the boy's respect towards such matters without being a pervert is one of his secrets which even he doesn't know. "It took a week of undivided attention and a little threatening to remove his doubts, and another week to get them together." "Wow, such things are very tense. What happened?" "She accepted, and years later, they would be having you." She said the last part softly, but Naruto caught it. 

"What? You mean-" "Oh dear, did I say it out loud? (sigh) Yes, I did know your parents." She paused expecting him to shout or cry, but he only gave her a look asking her to continue. "Well, Sandaime-sama and I know who they were. Others simply know them, but not as your parents. It's best to keep it that way since, as you know, your parents were strong shinobi feared across the nations. The have many enemies. To protect you, you are hidden. You knowing about them now may cause leaking of information. So, I can't talk much about them. But Hokage-sama will tell you when you are big enough and strong enough." A pause. "I understand, Mama." Naruto gave her a smile she gladly returned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One evening, Hima started coughing while playing with Naruto. It was one of her many coughing fits, which she had always put off as common cold when Naruto asked. After a few minutes, she started solemnly, "Naruto-chan," said kid of around 3 years looked up. "I have to tell you something. Listen carefully." He nodded and sat down. "You have many secrets that you are too young to know yet. Your Jiji will tell you when you are a big boy." She sighed. "But you are a very smart kid, you got that from your father. I believe you will figure it out soon enough." She smiled and ruffled his hair. "Now, some of these secrets are misinterpreted, or misunderstood, by others, causing them to fear you or show anger at you." "Well, I don't know what it is but I'll know when I see." was the soft reply. "They will try and harm you. But to prevent any more rumours, people are not allowed to talk about it. So, the situation is currently bad." "But you'll stay with me and help me, right Mama?" "You remember that I used to be a shinobi once?" He nodded. "I quit because of my illness, and also to take care of you." He looked confused. "I've been sick for a long time. I don't have much time left. After I'm gone, the matron who will take after me might trouble you. So, heed my words, dear one." She teared up, causing even Naruto to tear up.

"Naruto-chan, you will be having a hard life, but stay true to your heart. I know you are a kind child. I will be proud of you no matter what you choose to do." Naruto understood. Hima had made him grow up, but didn't remove his childhood totally. She had known for a long time that she would be dying, contemplated for a long time about what and what not to tell him. Even though she had prepared for the talk, her heart broke as she spoke. "Mama, I'm happy that you are proud of me. I don't know about the future, but I want to become a shinobi, great like my parents. If they are great, together, they are greater, so, I'll be greater. I will learn medicine also to cure your illness. But you have to stay with me, okay? I'll make the three of you proud." "Oh Naruto-chan, I can't promise I will stay with you always, but I will as long as I can, 1 day, 1year or 1 decade. I know you will make us proud. You have already made us proud. Remember this. I know I've told you many times, but engrave it in your heart:

1) Deception is a shinobi's greatest tool;

2) Look underneath the underneath;

3) Shinobi are human too, not mere tools. 

[A/N: I know I updated with hardly a day's gap. But I would like to know how frequent you would like the chapters would be posted.]