Chapter 54: Meeting a Friend and Some 'Siblings'

Naruto was thankful she was in her disguise. She wasn't ready to run into a Konoha shinobi she was too familiar with, except perhaps Shisui, because he would play along with whatever act she kept up with. It was true Itachi was her best friend, but Shisui was her brother in all but blood. Itachi would understand her thoughts, but she and Shisui thought alike when she was in a mood to prank, and when they were serious in missions or spars. 

Lately, her childish demeanour was wearing off slowly. Perhaps because she was not hanging around Shisui and Itachi as much as she used to. But we are getting off the topic.

Itachi was stoic  in front of anyone other than Naruto, Shisui and his family. But he wouldn't know that it was Naruto under her disguise. Also, pranking the Uchiha clan heir would be fun. That was the only reason why she still hid under her disguise and was thankful for it. 

Kurama, however, thought otherwise. The aged being was old enough to understand and discern feelings.

Years later, he would tell his Jinchuuriki that her inert shyness towards a possible crush had made her thankful now for her disguise.

Speaking of Naruto's disguise, it was the usual one she wore while travelling as another- Male, Orange hair, indigo eyes, no whiskers, chakra affinity of lightning, no Kyuubi, name of Shimizu Osamu.

'He' was checking a Wakizashi when Itachi stood beside 'him', his own chakra made to blend into the surroundings. He picked up a nearby Katana. It was exquisite, intricate carving on both the blade and the hilt. Naturally, he was intrigued by it. He read out a carving on the blade that was almost too faint to see. "Madoka?"

[A/N: I'm not a Japanese, so forgive me if the names I choose for OC's are irrelevant.]

"It's the name of the sword." Itachi turned to see an orange-haired male, but made no attempt to respond. Typical. "The one who had made it had been an excellent Kenjutsu master, learnt from some of the best Uzumaki swordsmen. The beauty of the sword deceived the ones who were striked with it. Everywhere he went, there was tranquility after storm, and hence the name. He had settled with a civilian family that was soon killed by shinobi. He fell into despair since and took revenge before vanishing. He had left this sword with his friend who had started this store in the memory of the swordsman who had vanished without a trace with a wish for peace." Osamu recited the story he had coaxed out of the shop owner. "You seem to have excellent taste in weapons."

"Hn." was the reply.

"Not much of a talker, are you? Your demeanour deems you a shinobi. Of course you wouldn't be a talker." Itachi, who was in merchant clothing, raised a brow. "By simple demeanour that you observed from few minutes, you say? You talk as if you've seen many shinobi in your life." The Uchiha asked.

"I have." I have been travelling." 'He' replied curtly before changing the topic. "So, are you proficient with swords?" Osamu asked, trying to make a conversation. "I can't say I am a master, but I am confident in my skills." "Now, now, don't be so humble. How good are you? Killing hundreds in a strike?" "No. Perhaps, the best in basics would be a better insightful answer for you." 

Osamu hummed. "Yes, it is. But if what you say is true, then the sword isn't the best for you. As much as I would appreciate your taste in swords, it is for highly proficient Kenjutsu users. Even the best find it difficult to wield it like its maker did. Choose another, like this Wakizashi." He held out the weapon in his hand.

"It is for a friend." Itachi had no choice but to say it. The orange-haired man was getting under his skin. Yet he didn't know why he felt compelled to say it. This annoyed him even more as he hated not knowing things such as thus.