Chapter 29: Meeting the Toad Sage...

After deliberately bankrupting Ebisu on Ramen, like the cheeky blonde 'he' was, Ebisu took them to the hot springs. "Kakashi-san told me about your abysmal chakra control. Water-walking is a good exercise for chakra control." "You could've taken me to a river, why the hot springs?" Naruto deadpanned. Ebisu stumbled for an answer. "Well, um, hot water encourages you to train faster since you don't want to get both soaked and burnt."

'Kakashi-sensei's excuse are much better than this. And sensei has some of the lamest excuses.' Naruto thought and Kurama snorted in agreement. "Seriously? I think it's for your own 'private reasons'. Hmm?" She taunted. "No, no! Let's begin." Naruto smoothly walked on the war. "H-How?" Ebisu stuttered. "Kakashi Sensei taught us. How else?" she deadpanned. "Well..." He began but something caught his eye. 'Someone is peeping. Here's to keep up myself in good books.' "Stop there! I won't allow such un-gentleman-ly acts on my watch!" He declared.

'What a hypocrite.' Naruto scoffed before turning to look at the guilty party. The accused was a seemingly older man, with waist-length white hair, old-fashioned Kimono and loose pants with a red, sleeveless overcoat, a head band bearing the Kanji- Abura (Oil). He had been peeping on unsuspecting women. Once Ebisu caught his attention by yelling, he summoned a frog that caught him by its tongue and flipped him down. The crash landing along with loss of blood from the nose due to extreme pervertedness, resulted in an Ebisu knocked out cold. 

What surprised Naruto was that till the frog was summoned, the chakra of the man had been suppressed so much that she mistook him for a chunin level Ninja. This man was undoubtedly Jiraiya. Nevertheless, she asked, "Oji-san (uncle), who are you?" The man performed a ridiculous dance with his frog and declared, "I am Jiraiya of the Sannin, the frog summoner, and more famous as the Toad Sage Jiraiya!" Naruto admitted that he had his own sense of style, though it didn't match hers. She looked impressed, "You are the Toad Sannin? It's an honour tro meet you, Sir." She bowed. Best to be in the good books of the man if she wanted to know anything, since he knew her father well and was also her supposed Godfather. 'Blue eyes and yellow hair. Could this brat be?' "What's your name, Gaki (brat)?" "Uzumaki Naruto-dattebayo!" 'He' grinned. 'He is Minato's son.' 'Seems he doesn't know that I'm a female.' 

"Ano-sa, ano-sa, can you train me for the Final round of the Chunin exams?" "Why should I waste my time training a Gaki like you?" "So that I can be Chunin. You rendered my supposed instructor useless. I also have to become the Hokage soon-dattebayo!" 'Minato's dream, huh?' "Nope, got no time." The rest of the evening was spent in following and coaxing Jiraiya. One of her tricks in jutsu, the 'Oiroke no Jutsu' (Sexy jutsu- not explaining it!) finally bagged the chance. "Fine! Only because you remind me of my student the Yondaime Hokage with that yellow hair." "Yatta!" She jumped. Jiraiya said, "Meet me at the hot springs tomorrow morning." "Hai Jiraiya Sensei!" 

'Jiraiya is back in town. He can help in dealing with Orochimaru. But I better make a good impression on him before telling Jiji, else he will leave my training.' Naruto thought before drifting off to sleep.

Next day:
"Ohayo Jiraiya Sensei!" Naruto chirped. "Ohayo Gaki." "Ne, Sensei, what will we be doing?" "How's your chakra control?" "I can climb trees and walk on water." 'He can use Kyuubi's powers if he can control it. Minato's seal allows it.' Jiraiya thought. "Alright Gaki. Since you are my student, I would like to pass the Toad Summon Contract to you." "Really?" "Of course!"

'Onii-sama?' She called out to Kurama since he had given her the fox contract. 'As much as I'd like to protest, I'll let you take it, keeping the future in mind.' There was no ill-will in his voice and Naruto was happy for that. 

"So sensei, how am I going to get it?" " Like this-" Jiraiya bit his thumb, drawing out blood, and performed the hand seals for the Summoning Technique, and summoned a huge scroll."Now sign in this blank space with your blood with the blood prints with the five fingers." She saw the names beside the blank space indicated. There was 'Jiraiya' and 'Namikaze Minato' on it. Naruto did as she was told and wrote her name 'Uzumaki Naruto'. Name might change, but blood is the same. Now follow these hand signs after drawing out a little blood and summon a frog. Naruto tried and put in little chakra in her technique, "Kuchiyose no Jutsu." and lo! there came a... tadpole. Just born tadpole.

"Keep trying till you get a toad. Call me when you succeed. I'll be doing my 'research' till then." He giggled. His 'research' was his illegal visits to the hot springs. The 'loudmouth' wanted to shout, but settled for a smirk. "Hai, hai, Ero-sennin (Pervy Sage)." Jiraiya popped a vein on his forehead as he was reminded of Uzumaki Kushina who had called him the same. 'Uzumakis' he sighed.

Jiraiya was away for three hours and Naruto still had no luck when he returned. They had lunch and napped. Well, they would've taken a nap if both 'Loudmouth' Naruto and 'Serious' Naruto weren't stubborn. Both of her parents were stubborn after all. After a few futile attempts, Jiraiya began to walk away when he heard, "Kuchiyose no Jutsu!" and behold! The Chief of the Toad Summons is summoned. 'So he has finally used the fox's chakra. But he used up a lot and summoned Gamabunta of all frogs. He won't listen to me properly, only Minato could control him.' "Very good Naruto. Now deal with him" saying so, vanished. 

Gamabunta was furious at being summoned. Being the boss, he had certain pride and ranted out calling to Jiraiya when Naruto declared that she had summoned him. The toad laughed and taunted, but when the 'boy' didn't budge, he said, "Alright runt, stay on my back till sunset and you shall be my minion." "I don't know about minion, but I'd rather be a friend." "Big words for a runt." The toad retorted before the roller coaster ride started. 'Kurama Onii-sama, I used up much of my chakra in summoning Gamabunta, despite what Jiraiya sensei thinks. Can you see that I stay awake after the challenge is over?' I can stay awake till sunset, but I'm not sure about later.' Kurama huffed, 'Alright. But you better show the frog who the boss is.'

Naruto hanged on to Gamabunta's back till the sunset. 'The only one who put up with me so long was the Yondaime Hokage.' He reminisced. "I win Gamabunta-sama. But just I call you with the suffix '-sama', don't consider me your minion." She warned. "You've got guts child. But we'll see about that later." Jiraiya was occasionally watching the 'boy' and couldn't help but feel impressed at 'his' determination and stamina. "Alright Naruto. Take rest tonight and if you are up tomorrow after the charade you pulled today, meet me in the same place, same time."

"That means did you see me? How did I do sensei?" Naruto asked eagerly. "You did well. I'm proud of you." Naruto was elated. No one had said those words only to her before. Iruka had said it indirectly while talking to Mizuki. Kakashi was proud of his team. But Jiraiya was her godfather, and he was proud of her. She hugged him, "Arigatou Sensei!" He ruffled 'his' hair and grinned. "Alright Gaki, you better go and take some rest now."

'Naruto, what do you think of the toad sage?' Kurama asked. 'He is a pleasant company. Could be a great teacher. What can I say from experience of a couple of days?' Kurama huffed, 'Yeah right. That is the biggest underestimation of your skills I've ever heard since the proclamation that you are an idiot. And I'm not talking about his ability to teach. You do know he is your Godfather, don't you?' Naruto understood what Kurama was trying to convey to her. She gave a long sigh. 'Everyone makes mistake, Onii-sama. I'm not sure I've forgiven him yet. But it sure is nice to have positive rather than negative feelings.  Don't you think so?'

Kurama didn't reply. But he didn't need to. Both of them knew the unspoken answer. Naruto was a positive influence on everyone, after all. She had a big heart Kurama was not sure the world deserved.