Chapter 17: Inari, Training and Itachi

Naruto began, "I might not know your pain, scratch that, I don't know your pain till I'm put in your situation. But I do know what it means to suffer. I've had my share of suffering in my life till now. Listen to my story. Not even my teammates know me that well. I've kept it a secret and would like to keep it now as well. But I'm trying to make you understand, so whatever I say here doesn't go out." She warned. "Fine." Inari grumbled. "We shinobi endure pain ever since we are young. It's inevitable. A good example is my sensei. My sensei's father committed suicide when he was as young as you. Around my age, he lost his two best friends in war. Around a decade ago, he lost his sensei, a father-figure to him.

Now me. I've been orphaned soon after I was born. I keep a threat of the village sealed away. But citizens of my village identify me as the threat itself. They've treated me worse than outcasts. But now, Kakashi Sensei has people he can depend on. Our Kage, his friends, us genins. I've been working hard to earn everyone's respect. So far, it's working. Progress is little but gradual. We could cry all day, but we have people who need us. Same for you. You have your grandfather, your mother, your land. Your mother lost two of her beloved people, your birth father, and Kaiza-san. Yet, she lives. She finds support in you. Give it to her. Heroes exist. Your dad Kaiza-san instilled hope in the citizens before he died. He taught you many things. Be strong."

Inari wiped his tears he didn't know when they began to fell and smiled with determination. "Hai Naruto nii-san." Naruto's eyes softened, "I know you'll be strong. But before that, you need to let everything hidden out now. Cry now, so that you need not shed unnecessary tears later." Inari bawled out as Naruto hugged and patted him. Soon, Inari fell asleep and she tucked him in the bed as she removed the privacy seals. She went out to Kakashi, "Sensei, what happened while I was away?" she asked. "We would be practicing water-walking tomorrow. What about Inari?" Kakashi asked back. "He was wallowing in self-pity. I just showed him reality. I might've told him a bit of your story I heard from Jiji." Naruto answered sheepishly before brightening up. "But seriously, Sensei! How did you bounce back after all that? You are truly awesome. And, if you need someone, your kawaii genin are here for you." Kakashi was touched at that. Naruto had been making his life brighter, showing the better side of life. She was like the support one needs temporarily to stand up after falling. It need not be there forever, but just long enough to help stand up. The duration of his tardiness reduced from more than 3 hours to around 1 hour. He gave her a warm smile, "Arigatou, Naruto."

Next day, they practised water walking. As water was a flowing fluid, it was trickier. Sakura got it by mid-day, Sasuke by night-fall. Naruto, it seemed, needed the next morning. Meanwhile, Tazuna and his co-workers were getting helped by Naruto's shadow clones. Her bright personality encouraged others to finish work faster. Tazuna had even got rid of his drunk sessions, though drank occasionally in parties.

Day 2 of water walking... Naruto was close to mastering it, when they took a break for lunch. It was then that the news broke that Gato had died and most of his wealth was shared with the Land of Waves. 'About time the news got out.' She thought absentmindedly. 'You were the one who asked them to delay, remember?' Kurama deadpanned. Naruto simply scratched the back of her head, chuckling nervously like her father. The work on the bridge was almost complete, so team 7 decided that, as Gato was no more, and the bridge was close to completion, their mission was complete and they would leave the next morning for Konoha. The next day, they were sent off by most of the citizens there. Inari hugged Naruto and bid them farewell. After they left, Tazuna piped up, "What should we name the bridge? 'The Great Tazuna Bridge' sounds good." He grinned, but was smacked by his friends. Inari suggested, "'The Great Naruto Bridge'!" Many others agreed to that and the name stuck.

Naruto, while walking, whined, "Sensei, since it is just the four of us, why don't we pick up the pace?" "I thought you were excited about leaving the village for a mission?" Kakashi asked amused. Naruto replied, "The mission outside the village had been awesome, but home is home. Konoha is Konoha, right-dattebayo?" Kakashi was happy that Naruto loved the village despite the ill treatment she received. Oh Kakashi, you have no idea how bad it was!

Naruto, however, had many things that she needed of to sort out in peace. Of course, what she said was true, but there were many things that happened in a short while and many things were to be taken care of. She had to check the regular reports with Itachi and Sarutobi about how the Uchiha were coping with various remedial processes undertaken by the Hokage. The after effects of the first kill were temporarily gone, but they would return until she sorted things in peace. Her disguise with her Uchiha best friends, Mito, was around Sasuke's age, in a different team. Her description of her missions to them would differ from the reality, since Sasuke's description of his missions would cause suspiscion. Her training needed to go up by a notch- Sensory, Hiraishin, Rasengan, its elemental variations and other versions and what not. The battle with Zabuza and Haku pointed out the flaws in her sensing abilities. There was the preparation for the chunin exams, and a debate of when Naruto would show her true colours.

Kurama had another topic in the list- her conflicts within herself to be perfect in everything her idols. She needed another round of grounding.

Mostly, she wanted to avoid any unnecessary discussion that might put her cover in jeopardy.

Soon they reached Konoha, reported to the Hokage, and went their separate ways. Let's just say it took Kurama a longer lecture and some pounds on her head to get his point across. She still tries to be perfect, but takes it a bit easy, knowing it would take time and patience.

She had met Sarutobi Konohamaru a few months ago. He was the grandson of the Sandaime, and the nephew of Asuma, who aimed to be Hokage. It was to beat his grandfather at first since he was always identified as his grandson. After meeting Naruto, who seemed the only person outside family to notice him for himself, he addressed her as his Boss along with his friends Moegi and Udon. She played Ninja, a.k.a. training, with the trio, called the Konohamaru Corps. After returning from the mission, she played with them again for an hour before meeting Itachi.

"Itachi-kun, how are you?" "I'm fine, Mito-chan. How are things?" Itachi, though he didn't show it much, was happy to see his best friend of non-Uchiha origins. "As usual. Though I've to tell you, the other day I met with Sasuke's teammate Naruto. It seems Sasuke still is arrogant." Itachi sighed, "I'll talk to him, but I can't spend enough time with him, with the ANBU duties, clan duties and training with Shisui." "You can leave a shadow clone with him for a couple of hours." Itachi thought, "I could try now that you mention it, but it would take time, it is not a kinjutsu for nothing. My chakra reserves aren't that large yet." "Well, it takes time. Good luck with that. How is the KPF doing? And the rest of the clan?" He shrugged, "They are still adjusting, but many are actually appreciating the changes. I believe they will settle soon. So far, there have been no complaints." Mito rolled her eyes at the use of formal language. Itachi was too polite for his own good. After some more incidents in the clan were discussed, Itachi talked about his latest mission. "I awakened my Mangekyo Sharingan." She froze at that. "Who was it?" she asked about the person whose death had caused the awakening. He or she must've been quite close to Itachi. "Well, no one. Actually, this one was close enough, and fortunately, it awakened before he was dead and I could save him." He explained as cool as possible. "Who was it?" Mito pressed on. Itachi hesitated, his best friend was scary when required. It seems she didn't even try to be scary. "Um... Shisui." Mito jumped, "What? Is Nii-san alright? Where is he?" Itachi calmed her down, "He is fine. He was discharged from the hospital yesterday. He just needs some rest. He shall be fine by tomorrow."

Naruto sighed relieved, "Fine, I'll meet him tomorrow. Tell him to stay put till then." She warned dangerously. Normally, that tone would have an effect on anyone, sometimes on Shisui too, but not on Itachi. He actually wanted to laugh, but it would only fuel her anger, and it wouldn't be good for Shisui. Taking a rare moment of pity on his cousin, Itachi simply smiled at her. After a silent count of three, they chuckled. Mito pondered aloud, "Nii-san has had his father's eyes when he had awoken it. What about you?" "What?" Itachi asked confused. "The Mangekyou causes blindness, right? Nii-san told me." Itachi hummed, "I don't know." "I think your father should be having it, being the mighty clan leader, why don't you ask him to exchange your eyes with his. As far as I know, the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan that comes as a result of that is stronger than the normal Mangekyo. It gives more power and abilities." She suggested. "I'll ask... maybe." He muttered with slight hesitation which Mito caught. "I know that tone, don't hesitate. I don't want my best friend going blind." She said, her voice filled with concern. Itachi smiled at that, "Alright. I'll do it." Mito grinned, "Alright, see you later, Itachi-kun."