Chapter 37: Searching for the Senju Sannin

Naruto showered, packed her bag and got ready. She checked herself in the mirror, when she notice something different. "Kurama Onii-sama?" "Yes Kit?" "Do you notice anything different on my face?" "The seal on your hair malfunctioning? How do you even put up so many seals on your body?" "Onii-sama, you know very well that the seals on my hair are absolutely fine. I cover the seals on my body with a superficial seal designed as a fox, your shape to be precise. And it is on my shoulder. And could you please stop diverting the topic of discussion? It only proves you know what is happening? Why you don't want to tell me is something I don't understand. Can you please do the honour of answering me?" Kurama scoffed, "Quite demanding and sarcastic, aren't you?" "Onii-sama!" 

"Fine! You do remember what your Hokage of a father did before leaving, don't you?" "I think I have an idea of it." "He gave you the Yin half of my chakra that had been sealed inside him for the past 13 years. Those whisker marks on your face are a result of your mother being my vessel and you being my current vessel. It was supposed to vanish as you grow, but you, unlike your mother, lacked my Yin chakra." "So will they disappear now?" "I don't know, it's been a while since I've been complete. Now that you've got it, they shall start thinning. But they've already been there for more than a decade, so I 'm not sure if they would completely vanish. The progress is slow, so those that see you frequently won't know the difference until very late."

10 minutes later, Jiraiya and Naruto were on the road. Tsunade's last location, the older man had found, was two villages away. With any luck, she should still be there. Jiraiya asked for Tsunade in many locations, most of them being shady places for gambling.

"So, Sensei, what is Tsunade-san like?" Naruto asked when they were resting, eating the double Popsicle that had been snapped in two by Jiraiya. "Hmm? She has brute strength in her kicks and punches. When she was young, she was flat-chested, but grew up busty. She had always been beautiful, even now. She puts up a Genjutsu to hide her age. Sometimes she transforms into her younger self to escape from her debtors. She has a bad habit of drinking and gambling, and has the worst of luck. That's why she is also known as the 'Legendary Sucker' or 'Legendary Loser'. 

He showed her a picture of Tsunade. She was indeed beautiful with, pale blonde hair, hazel brown eyes and her forehead had a cyan-coloured diamond mark. 'Just like Mito-sama. She is her and Hashirama-sama's grand daughter after all.' Naruto thought. "Oh, and she's also the greatest medic ninja." Jiraiya added.

After some time, Naruto asked, "Sensei, It's amazing how you found Tsunade-san's position within a short time." "It's my spy network you have to thank. But who do you think started the network and is the head of the Konoha Spy Network?" He replied, puffing his chest in pride. "That's great! Even I want to follow you and create a spy network. How do you do the job?" Naruto inquired enthusiastic. "Oh? A curious one, aren't you? It is a very dangerous profession. Do you think you are up for the challenge and dangers?" "I think I am. But I can't say for sure until I see what it is for myself, can I? But if I truly am, then I might take after you one day. How about it, Sensei? This trip will be the start of it all!" Naruto spoke excited. "That's my gutsy ninja!" Jiraiya said as he ruffled her hair. 

They went over the basics and all. At night, they stopped at an inn. Jiraiya helped Naruto in some seals and Senjutsu. "Jiraiya Sensei?" She started after a while. "Can I ask you something?" He turned to her concerned, "What is it Naruto?" "You said Tsunade is a medic nin. The greatest. Can I be her student in that study? If you don't mind of course! I'll still be your student and you will be my Sensei. I just want to excel in medicine too." She finished, somewhat lamely, not wanting to offend Jiraiya, also thinking of the mother-figure she had in the first three years of her life. 

"You can learn whatever you want, Naruto." He laughed, good natured. "I won't be offended. I'll be even more proud. Just don't forget this old man here, okay?" "Hai Sensei!"

As they went to their cots to sleep, she started again, "You know something, Sensei?" He hummed, listening. "You remember I dragged you out of the Dango shop in the previous village and we ran to this village?" "Yeah, your excuse and act was good, but I have a feeling that there is more to this 'escape'. 'I want to reach sooner', yeah right." She shrugged, "I sensed a very large chakra and sent a Kage Bunshin to investigate. The clone- I- saw two people in black cloaks with red clouds." Jiraiya stiffened, "It's the Akatsuki, isn't it?" She asked softly and he nodded. "I thought so. I wanted to confirm total privacy before I wanted relay this to you away from prying ears. Hence the delay. I'm sorry". "It's okay. But drop hints next time." "Yes sensei." 

What Naruto 'failed' to tell Jiraiya were their descriptions and that she recognized them. The taller man, taller than any average man, was a former member of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, now a rogue nin, Hoshigaki Kisame with his special sword Samehada. He was called the tail-less tailed beast, since Samehada can absorb chakra of the enemy and make it Kisame's. It was a living sword. His chakra was the massive chakra Naruto had sensed. But what troubled her even more was his companion who was skipping around like a child. He had worn an orange mask with a swirl patter that centred on the hole for the right eye that seemed to be the only opening in the mask. Kurama had recognised his chakra as the one who attacked Konoha using him 13 years ago. 

She had to analyse her observations when she returned to Konoha. For now she would settle for a good night's sleep. 

The next day had been spent searching for the travelling Sannin, including a few gambles to extract information from wily gamblers, and learning spy techniques. Naruto, it seems had great luck in gambling. She was also introduced to some of Jiraiya's spies as mere acquaintance, after all, she was Kyuubi's Jinchuriki and Minato's child. 

Around evening, the duo went into a bar and found their target drinking beside a short-black haired lady with a pig in her arms. They reached the ladies and Jiraiya boomed, "Tsunade! How have you been?" "Jiraiya?!" Tsunade was positively shocked and double-checked if her drunken stupor had been causing hallucinations. "What are you doing here?" "Me? I came to have drink, and happened to meet my friend here." He smoothly replied. "Whatever" She scoffed and chugged down a bottle of Sake. She muttered, "What do you know? I was actually winning today. I should've known." She then noticed Naruto. "Who is the runt with you?"

"Uzumaki Naruto. A pleasure to meet you, Tsunade-san." Naruto said as she offered a hand. Tsunade was too drunk to notice the hand but hummed, "A polite kid. What are you doing with the old toad here?" she asked ignoring Jiraiya's indignant cry of 'Hey!'. "He is my Shishou (Master). I came along with him on a mission." "Mission?" Tsunade asked, showing interest, if only a little. Jiraiya sighed. "Nice going, Gaki." He muttered sarcastically to Naruto. "Well, Sarutobi Sensei wants you back into the village." "And why now?" "He wants you be the Godaime."

"Being Hokage is for the fools!" Tsunade declared. Naruto raised a brow, "And why would that be, Tsunade-san?" "'Cause whoever becomes Hokage die a pointless death. Look at my grandfather, granduncle, and the Yondaime brat. They all died, and for what?" "But Sandiame-sama is still alive." "Oh, Sensei is lucky to have lived so long. But I wonder how long it  would be before his luck runs out. I won't be surprised if he is choosing a Godaime because he is on his death bed." She slurred.

"In fact, he was close to death. But he overcame it and defeated Orochimaru. That Hebi-Hentai had the audacity to attack Konoha and barely escaped with arms that won't work." She shuddered as she remembered Orochimaru's attempt to give her the curse mark.

"So, that's what had happened. No wonder his smug face looked miserable." Tsunade muttered low, but it was heard nevertheless by Jiraiya and Naruto. "What do you mean? Did he meet you?" Jiraiya asked. "Exactly what I said!" She snapped back. "He came today, asking me to heal his hands, used my hemophobia against me, and gave me a day's time. He promised he would revive those two." Her voice dropped at the last statement.

Silence ensue before Naruto broke it, "Why don't we take this to the rooms, er... Miss?" She turned to the lady with the piglet. "It's Shizune, and this is Tonton." The lady introduced herself and the little pig. "Happy to have met you two. Shizune-san, Tsunade-san, Ero-sennin, let's go!" Tsunade laughed at Jiraiya's nickname and Naruto smiled at her successful attempt to lighten the mood.