Chapter 25: Suna attack?

"Uzumaki Naruto." Gaara greeted, "What's up? How is your team?" "Uzumaki," Gaara repeated, "Why did you help me?" "Geez, not this again..." He cut her off "Just say it." She shrugged, "Well, I see you as a friend, a fellow Jinchuriki with a past probably more horrible than mine. We might host Biju, but we are still human, and deserve to be treated as such. As fellow Jinchuriki, the least I can do is support you and, perhaps, be your first friend?" She held out her hand to him.

Gaara's expression softened but remained stoic nonetheless. He didn't accept the hand, though. She dropped her hand as if checking her head band. "So?" she prompted. 

"I want to inform a plan of Suna against Konoha." He said bluntly while she just blinked. "Okay..." "The details haven't been briefed to my team yet, but it seems my team ('rather I' was unspoken but not unheard) was chosen specifically to attend the Chunin exams in Konohagakure, as a crucial part of the attack." A pause, "Your volatility as an... unstable Jinchuriki?" Naruto asked hesitantly. "Yes, along those lines." Gaara replied. Naruto's eyebrow almost twitched. Gaara wanted to say something, but was holding back, either due to lack of trust or lack of social skills.

"So," she began, "You say that your village will be attacking mine, and that you, the one who is informing me of this, are your village's trump card. Now, Gaara, Suna and Konoha have been allies for a long time. So what you are telling me, if false, has the potential of causing a great war and the dissolving of decades old peace treaties. I trust a fellow Jinchuriki, but because this is a matter involving two villages, I'm asking a shinobi of a different village, give me a reason why I should believe you. Even if what you say is true, why is the trump card of the enemy, the one who has the power to turn tables in the war, confiding in a mere shinobi of the enemy lines?"

Gaara remained silent for a while before replying, "Just a return of favour, Uzumaki." "That... seems odd, but... nice. But, is it alright for you to put your village at stake just to return a favour?" She asked softly, uncertain to be heard. Gaara pondered as he said, "My village hates me. My own father, the Kazekage ordered my assassination six times after he concluded that I couldn't keep Shukakau in control. He gave up once he saw that my sand protects me unconsciously and wouldn't let a single scratch on me." 

"That explains Kabuto's comment that you had not a scratch during any of your missions." Naruto chuckled remembering, before turning serious. "I get it. But you've got it worse than me, I don't blame you. I am hated by my village, but at least I had a caretaker when I was younger, and my Kage is on my side. It is a blow to know that one's parents want to kill his own child." She sighed. "But he is the Kazekage, and his village is his top priority, just like one of our village elders. He preferred his village over his child, sacrificing himself, depriving the child of a parent, and also giving the child an unhappy life in the wake of his death." Her tone held a hint of bitterness. She had come to terms about why her father had got himself killed and turned her into a Jinchuriki, but that doesn't mean she was liking it 100%.

"He concluded that you couldn't control the beast, meaning, Shukaku can take over you and destroy the village. Since the time of Shodai Hokage, Bijuu have been weapons for villages alongside a Kage. As long as you were alive and incapable of control, you were a threat to him. I believe that he would have it sealed back into something after your death, till a better host comes along. Unfortunately for everyone, Shukaku is like a rebellious teen, and there aren't any seal masters to check if the seal has anything to do with your control over Shukaku. And the last thing the Kazekage needs is his village being attacked."

She suddenly realised something, "You know what, let's do the talk after the 5-day limit tomorrow, if you want. I do not want to find it right to leave it abruptly here, but with the information you gave me, I should discuss it with Hokage-sama as soon possible, and try to reduce the damage to both Suna and Konoha by any means. How about you try find more about the plans of Suna, so that Konoha suffers less and the peace treaties can be remade? Only if you wish to do so, that is. Whatever decision you make, Gaara, I will respect it." Gaara's expression softened for a moment before he became stoic again. "I'll see you soon, Gaara." "See you soon, Uzumaki Naruto." they parted their ways.

Flashback no Jutsu- Kai (Flashback technique- Release)

Naruto began relaying her thoughts to Sarutobi. "Well, I've seen random things since the trip to the Academy for the Chunin Exams till the forest of death. and as much as the both of us agree that Orochimaru is planning to attack the village. I also think Sungakure might be involved with Otogakure. How did Orochimaru turn a friend to a foe, I don't know. I also have my suspicions on Yakushi Kabuto, a leaf genin, who is supposedly taking the exam for the 7th time..."

Naruto gave Hiruzen time to let the information sink.He already had an idea about Naruto's skills and smarts. He could believe her alright on Orochimaru, but Suna's involvement seemed far-fetched. And a possible spy in Konoha? "Yakushi Kabuto, the adopted son of Yakushi Nono, former Konoha Shinobi, last known as matron of an orphanage. He was found after a war at the Kikyo Pass as a young child, with no memories of his past and name. How can I be sure of what you say? Suna pitted against Konoha! This allegation puts the peace treaty between the villages in jeopardy."

"My source of information is trustworthy, and wants to stay anonymous for now since he has not known their plans in detail. But he was informed of the attack by the Sunagakure's officials. He is slowly building his trust in me, and I do not want it to break by revealing his identity prematurely. Please, Jiji?" She gave him a cute expression- a pout and wide eyes that showed seriousness. He chuckled. 

"I understand, Naruto. You are quite intelligent for your age. I believe you know your secret by now, Naru-chan?" The girlish nickname indicated that he was talking of her gender. "Yes, Jiji, I know of my anatomy."-discreet-"I understand why it had been kept a secret till now, and wish to keep it secret for the same reasons, till I reveal it myself. I don not want to hear a 'No' in this, Hokage-sama." Ouch. Naruto never called him that unless it was very, very serious. Naruto knew that he saw her as a child- okay she was a child, but she is a ninja, a jinchuriki of all things, she had no choice but to grow up and mature faster than others of her age. 

The determined glare from Naruto sent a shiver up Sarutobi's spine. He never imagined the sweet loudmouth blonde would give him a glare akin to the Uchihas. Where did she get it from? Oh, she was the one who helped in dissolving the strife between the clan and Konoha.

He chuckled, she got her way many a time. Perhaps he was getting soft. He needed to become tough else he might be accused by his former teammates for letting 'the Kyuubi' do as 'it' wishes. But, perhaps, Naruto can be an exception...

"Alright Naru-chan, I'll keep a look out on the Suna nin, Oto nin, and Yakushi's team. Good luck for your Chunin Exams."

"Please do that Jiji, and Arigatou. Also, please try to refrain from calling me Naru-chan much. It might slip out in unwanted situations and cause unnecessary troubles. We don't want that, ne, Jiji?""Hai, hai." She left, leaving the old man to his thoughts. However, he saw her again after few minutes, "Wait Jiji, I'm just a clone. The original wanted to convey something..."