Chapter 4: Meeting the Kyuubi

Our dear blonde was sitting on the top of the Hokage mountain, or the Hokage monument, that has the faces of all Hokage engraved on it. He gained height and weight enough to be a 6 ½ -year-old, which he is, but with expected amount of work (a.k.a., training and food habits), he expected more. But he knew the reason behind this and it gave him answers to many questions. He was thinking what to do to overcome this 'reason'.

Flashback

The boy who had saved him more than two years ago was his 'saviour', not an 'attacker', of the name Uchiha Itachi. Naruto had a brief meet in his mind with a cage, not so much with what was inside it. He assumed it later to be a dream. The Hokage and Itachi had asked about his well being when he woke up. Sarutobi had been terribly upset with the actions of the civilians, but could not do anything, with the council overpowering the 'senile old man'. Naruto was asked if he unlocked his chakra, in vague terms. He replied negative, though he knew what chakra and unlocking it was thanks to Hima. The late matron had taught him a lot, including reading and writing within the limited time they had to spend together, and prepared him as much as possible to face the troubles outside. Sarutobi and Itachi had then assumed the chakra flare to be an instinctive reflex.

Later, Naruto asked them to help him unlock his chakra. Despite initial protests, he talked them in to it, smoothly, without them realizing it. Soon, Itachi helped Naruto unlock his chakra, causing the kid to briefly meet the giant cage again. This time, however, when he came back to the land of the living, he tried connecting the dots together.

Naruto was 4 years old. The Yondaime had 'defeated' the Kyuubi 4 years ago. Hima had told him that inspite of what others say about the Biju's death, the late Hokage had simply defeated it, not killed it, and did something that would later on shield the world from he Kyuubi and vice versa. Naruto wondered if he was keeping the giant Kyuubi no Yoko safe inside his small body by complex means. The Yondaime Hokage was supposed to be a great shinobi after all, and according to Naruto, nothing was impossible for the young Hokage. He pursued his mindscape and found himself facing the nine-tailed Biju behind the cage, that threatened to kill him. He tried to resent the giant fox for being the cause of his suffering. However, neither his brain, nor his heart were ready to accept the resentment and he was fine with it.

The Kyuubi, however, was not the friendliest being on the planet. Yet, the boy never wavered and kept approaching him, trying to be friends, for, he believed that neither of them had any other choice, which Naruto amusingly didn't mind at all. He thought the kyuubi was cute, and even cuter when he imagined a smile on the ever grumpy, frowning face of the Kyuubi, much to the chagrin, or rather, shock of the Biju. Later on, he changed the mindscape from a water pipeline network of reddish hue to a lush forest, mountains and waterfall, The cage was gone, replaced by a leash on the Kyuubi's neck, which the blonde concentrated harder on to change it into something more comfortable and cuter. The Kyuubi warmed enough to tell him his name- Kurama- but they were not friends yet. He still behaved high and mighty.

Naruto, in the living world, tried to listen to Academy classes from a tree outside, and learnt the Basic Transformation Technique or 'Henge no Jutsu', Substitution Technique or 'Kawarimi no Jutsu' and the Clone Technique or 'Bunshin no Jutsu'. Though, Bunshin no Jutsu was tough for reasons he couldn't understand, Kyuubi was 'kind' enough to point out that he had large amounts of chakra (probably due to his parents' clans or something) compared to those of his age and him bearing a Biju didn't help either, since the jutsu required extremely small amount of chakra which was difficult. Biju were manifestation of large amount of chakra, and Kurama, as he quoted, was the strongest being of chakra ever.

Naruto used Henge to his benefits and exploited them to use the library, restaurants, stores and other places where he was usually kicked out. He also avoided the mobs with his Henges and tried to create convincing alibis for his henges.

He was around 5 years old when he was reading books on anatomy of various animals and froze when he was reading through the one of human beings. He was shocked to say the least. All his physical features, especially genital parts, matched almost, no, exactly, with that of a girl rather than a boy. He mulled over this for an entire day and came to a few conclusions:

1. He was a girl

2. Jiji knew this. He was the Hokage after all

3. He, no, she wasn't informed of this due to safety reasons, as ridiculous as it sounds

4. She will not tell anyone of it and even Sarutobi will not know of her knowing it

5. Kurama knew this and is going to receive a harsh glare from her

6. Mama Hima knew this, and hence the strict rules of potty training, hot springs and what not.

[A/N: How's the twist? Please don't kill me.]