Chapter 47: ANBU Training

"You would like to what?!" Tsunade shrieked in her office. Thankfully, the one on the receiving end of the shriek had put up a cone of silence around the three major occupants of the room. "I repeat, I would like to apply for a position in ANBU." was the the cool and patient reply. "What's wrong, Nee-san? I just want to serve the village from the shadows, officially. I don't know if I will be recruited or not, but if I am, I would like as many solo missions as team missions." "You are thinking too far. And why would an ANBU be given solo missions?" Tsunade fired.

"Well, they are sometimes. Moreover, a certain ANBU was given one just in case a certain Coup took place." Naruto replied casually and Hiruzen flinched. Tsunade looked at him questioningly. "Uchiha Coup" he mouthed to her.

The Godaime sighed, "Naruto, you are too young." "With all due respect, Hokage-sama, at what age was Hatake Kakashi, ANBU-Dog, recruited in ANBU? My age. At what age was Uchiha Itachi ANBU-Raven, recruited in ANBU? Even younger than me."

"According to files, Hatake Kakashi was recruited personally by Yondaime. It was a warring time." "Tsunade-sama, the war was over when the Yondaime took the hat. Hatake-san was recruited as his personal ANBU without the actual exams. I ask to be recruited like any other ANBU, no privileges. You can't use the Uchiha-card for Itachi-san's recruitment. His age is my card." Naruto argued.

Tsunade rubbed her temples. This was becoming common in every meeting with Naruto, though the outcomes were good. "I can't argue with this kid for long without getting a headache. When you pass, I want you under my command along with the ANBU Commander's. Not Danzo's!" "Hai!" Naruto chirped.

The ANBU entrance exams were held within a week of the meeting. Naruto levelled up her training. She did not disguise her chakra, but she put on a seal that hid the chakra of Kurama. The loudmouth Uzumaki had Kurama's chakra known, and 'his' chakra was tweaked from the original. ANBU training was supposed to be rigorous. Wigs that can fall off can't be used.Instead, a jutsu she had developed with the basics from one of Tobirama's idea was put to use. It changes appearances and was undetectable, unlike Henge. 

Naruto decide to enter as a girl of her own age-14- of the name Yokaze Akira (Night winds - Bright dawn --the contrast!! Tobirama hits the author: Don't mind this idiot. ) Black haired, and similarly dark eyes. 

The first exam was written. It was pretty useful. Nothing like the one in Chunin Exams. This actually tested their knowledge and brain. Knowledge on Shinobi history, elemental styles and jutsus were tested. Questions also included various mock scenarios and what action the examinee would take. The scenarios impressed Akira. 'Experience does wonders.' she thought in awe.

She had done pretty well. Those that had passed were shown their faults in the exam. The next was an exam of skill. Examinees were to fight with the members of ANBU, one-on-one. Akira showed her skill in elemental jutsus, hiding those that belonged exclusively to Namikaze Naruto. Her cunning nature, intellect and sharp mind won her points. She was close to defeating her sparring partner when the match was called off. Though she held back a little, Akira found more room for improvement.

The examinees who were selected in ANBU were simply called recruits and were each given a blank mask. The Commander, an ANBU with a Panther mask, instructed them, "You will be assigned in teams, three recruits with an ANBU member as a captain. By the end of two months, the reviews of your captains shall decide your fate- in which category you would work, and also-" The voice took a smug turn, even though the look was not visible under the mask, "whether you stay here or not."

And thus began the most eventful two months of her 14 year life. Her teammates were Suzuki Arata, a bubbly 16 year old male, and Yamamoto Daisuke, a solemn looking 17 year old male. Their captain was a Leopard-masked ANBU. He was the second in command, and declared that his identity would be revealed if he they passed.