Chapter 71: A Hero

And, I'm back to shorter chapters... Sumimasendeshita...

The paper tree was disassembled. Nagato had placed his hand on Naruto's head as his blessing before he died. His machinery had disintegrated. Konan wrapped his body with paper while Naruto created a shadow clone that disappeared and came back with the body of Tendo Pein that had been marked with her Hiraishin seal when she had hit him finally with Rasengan. Konan wrapped his body too.

"He was Yahiko, wasn't he?" Naruto asked. "Yes." Konan replied. "So you are a gi-" "Shh, Nee-san. Winds carry whispers." Naruto cut her off with a sly smile. "But yes I am. And I need not tell you that this is classified information." Konan nodded as she remembered.

'I have to undergo what no Jinchuuriki ever had to, and hopefully, will never have to.'

 "So was this what you told him earlier?" She asked. Naruto replied, "Yes. With the way my mother was killed, my father deemed it best for me."

The two women comforted each other. Konan had loved Yahiko before he died. Nagato had supported her as a sibling and she was devoted to him. With him gone, she had no purpose to serve Akatsuki. She told Naruto the same. Naruto gave her a marked kunai and said, "Anytime you want to call me, please use this."

The blue-haired woman nodded and smiled. She gave the blonde a bouquet made of paper. "Keep them, or give them to our master. I will see from here what Nagato and Yahiko will see from above." She left with Nagato and Yahiko's bodies to Amegakure. "Stay safe!" Naruto called out to her.

Naruto began heading back to Konoha, sprinting from branch to branch. She was exhausted both mentally and physically. Had it been only one, it would've been fine. The incomplete Bijuu mode was less advantageous than the complete Bijuu mode. She slowed down so that she could collect her thoughts in the rare moment of solitude which would be deprived once she entered Konoha.

Soon, her eyes spotted the friendly spy, whose chakra she had been sensing for a long time. She rolled her eyes at the crow with red eyes as it approached. It settled on her shoulder and made soothing movements, as if comforting her. She petted the crow in gratitude. It then prodded her and gave a questioning glance that was eerily similar to it's owner. She replied. "You want answers? You need to wait. I'll see Konoha now, but I'll be gone soon. And I don't want anyone following me. My trip will end probably soon and then I'll be back for good."

They reached Konoha as the crow flew away, unable to coax her into answering its questions. The gates were destroyed, but the remains were covered by a crowd. Konoha crowds had given her bad memories, but this seemed slightly different, perhaps because even children were present, and there were no looks with malice.

"Look, it's Naruto!" Someone yelled and the crowd erupted in cheers. Naruto was puzzled and Katsuyu answered her unasked question, amused, "I've relayed the battle to the others. They are here to cheer for you." 

Naruto had mixed feelings, but was mostly uncomfortable at being the centre of positive attention. She had always been the object of scorn when younger. As she grew she avoided crowds and large groups. Thus, when there were cheers from a crowd, her village nonetheless, it was a new experience. She felt embarrassed but tried to blend in. There were cheers of 'Well done!' and 'We knew you could do it!'

Children ran up to her. "Naruto-san! You finally defeated the enemy! What was the enemy like? Was he strong? Are you hurt? Tell us everything!"

She knelt to their height as they pulled her down by her clothing and laughed, feeling better with kids around her. She was wearing slightly baggy clothing to hide her slim figure and a white cloak over it.