Chapter 76: Uchiha... Tobi

Naruto was training when she felt a presence behind. She turned around to see a man with short spiky black hair, orange mark with the design of a swirl that was centred at the hole for the right eye, the only hole appear. He wore a black cloak with red clouds. He seemed to have materialised in a swirl from the right eye.

'This is like the Kamui ability of Kakashi's Sharingan. The possibility that the eye belongs to Obito is increasing. Is it really him?' Naruto thought.

"Uzumaki Naruto." He greeted. "Who are you?" She asked. "Uchiha Madara." He replied.

 Naruto's eyebrow rose. That seemed like a ridiculous alias. "One: He has been dead for so long. Two: He is too proud of his hair to cut it off." The man replied, "You don't like the name? Tobi is fine." 

Naruto simply deadpanned for a while. (Cue sound of crickets in the dark)

"What do you want?" Naruto asked. "The Bijuu, you fool." It was his turn to deadpan. She rolled her eyes. "I know that. I mean now. Why did you come to me now?" "A while ago, I had a visit from your friend, the Orange Spark." Naruto feigned surprise. "Didn't he tell you that he met with the group that hunted you? What kind of a friend is he?" He scoffed.

"Anyway, I had doubted you were somehow putting obstacles in my path, preventing me from carrying out my plan.Throwing a wrench in it." Tobi said. "You certainly seem irritated by it. And plans? Here I am, thinking that Pein was the leader of the Akatsuki. He is gone but the group is not. Am I to assume that you are the new leader, or, have you always been the actual leader?" The man chuckled. "You do not seem to be a fool, Uzumaki."

Naruto looked outraged, simply to disprove his point. "As much as I'd like to appreciate the rare compliment, what makes you think I'm not a fool? What I've said can be deduced by a mere genin fresh from the Academy."

The man seemed amused. "Naruto, you seem more interesting compared to the other Jinchuuriki. You have manged to defeat Pein and make him betray our organisation."

Naruto looked with icy blue eyes. "Nagato was a misguided soul with good intentions. You seem rather manipulative, different from him. I ask again. What do you want?"

Tobi replied, "Like I said, you made Nagato betray me. I wanted to see what made him do the one thing I never actually anticipated. Even if I capture you now, being the host of the Nine tails, you would be sealed last, giving you enough time to escape, given your reputation of being unpredictable. However, I can't have you hindering my plans more than what you have already done."

His body tensed minutely, ready for battle.

Naruto took her own battle stance and threw kunai one after another at Tobi. Either they were dodged or they phased right through him, falling to the ground. He caught one kunai that was approaching him by its hilt and attacked her with it. The kunai was blocked by another in her hand and she manoeuvred it to fall out of his hand. The kunai in hand was replaced by 'Madoka' and she struck forward, making him back away.

'Kage Bunshin no Jutsu.' She thought and six clones appeared. They flashed to the kunai that formed a hexagon around Tobi, one at each point. The kunai were made to form a hexagon on purpose. "Chakra absorbing barrier." The clones whispered. A crimson barrier rose trapping Tobi effectively. He observed.

"A barrier, huh. You are very good at speed. And looks like the barrier absorbs chakra too." Naruto didn't confirm it, but countered it with her own question. "I don't think you are Madara. But you definitely are an Uchiha, with a separate entity of Senju Chakra in you. Are you Uchiha Obito?" 

Tobi chuckled. "I don't associate myself with that name. Not now. I don't know. What if I am?"

 Naruto rolled her eyes. "I am not up for any games now. You might call yourself Madara or Tobi now. But were you once Uchiha Obito?" The question was asked with such authority in her voice that he almost complied. Almost.