Chapter 70: Story of Pain & The Answer to Peace

So... even this chapter is a merge of two... perhaps the last of such merging...

I hope you shall enjoy. Do let me know of your thoughts and votes.

... About the consistency of the length of the chapters...

... or something like that.

NamikazeNaruto20

Katsuyu asked Naruto, "Will you be going?" The unsaid 'towards the real Pein' was heard.
"Yes." was the simple answer.
"Will you need assistance?"
"No, I have to do this alone." Naruto replied.

Naruto could sense familiar chakra signatures behind her, following the same path she was going. One was a Hyuuga branch member, she identified the chakra to be that of a Hyuuga, but didn't know who he was. So it was safe to assume that the three shinobi far behind her knew that she was ahead due to his Byakugan, and she picked up pace.

Her sensory skills were so good that she felt a familiar chakra, though in a small quantity, throughout the battle. She would have a word with the 'battle spy' later, that is if he would confront her first. He was a good friend after all.

When the felt the three shinobi following her faster and were a couple of branches away from her, she stopped on a branch. "Naruto." One of them called out. She turned to greet them with a short bow. "Shikaku-san, Inoichi-san, Hyuuga-san- er..." "Hyuuga Koto" He introduced himself. She nodded in acknowledgement. "Koto-san. Will I be correct in assuming that you know about the 'real Pein', seeing that you are here?" Inoichi and Koto were taken aback by the apparent change in the supposed knucklehead Ninja's behaviour.

The true Naruto was more polite than her mask. But Tobirama's speech patterns had rubbed off on her. (..😅..)

Shikaku merely observed from the side silently. Inoichi replied, "Yes. Do you know where he is?" Naruto nodded. "I do. But," She prompted when he opened his mouth to say something. "I have to go alone. I can't explain exactly, but there is something I have to discuss." 

"Discuss?" Inoichi grew outraged. "He is the enemy who brought Konoha close to the destruction two decades ago." Naruto remained calm despite the slip of the past. Koto's clenched his fists at the reminder while Shikaku's eyes sharpened in subtle warning to his friend. 

"I know he is the enemy. But will killing him and inflicting physical damage on him and his followers like he did to us 'settle' things?" "Talking won't do anything Naruto!" Inoichi protested. 

"I understand your rage, Inoichi-san. I share it too. But I have few things to confirm." Naruto replied. "Confirm?" Inoichi repeated. "Yes. I believe this is essential for all of us." 

Shikaku asked, "What happened, Naruto?" She shrugged, "A battle of fists and words." Inoichi interjected, "Then what is left to talk? I understand you defeated Pein, but you are taking things too far." "Inoichi." Shikaku interrupted his friend. "He defeated Pein himself. He has the right to talk to him. Let him go." Naruto gave him a grateful smile. "Thank you, Shikaku-san." She turned and left.

Inoichi asked his best friend, "Why did you let him leave, Shikaku?" The Nara thought before replying, "Because of my son." "Shikamaru?" Inoichi prompted. 

"After his first mission as Chunin leader with Naruto, I heard Shika praise and rant about him, in his own lazy way. Said that Naruto inspires him and he couldn't help but not feel lazy around him. He went as far as to say that Naruto would be an important asset of Konoha one day." Shikaku said as he thought. 

'That's not the only reason. Even I had recognized his potential when he revealed only some part of his true self at the age of 13. A jounin at the age of 14. He defeated an enemy who brought Konoha close to destruction all by himself. Also, he is his son. You have grown a lot Naruto.'