Chapter 82: War Begins!

It was past midday when the enemy had made contact with various units of Allied Forces. The Commando teams of both sides had clashed an hour before the armies had. The enemy consisted of several reanimated shinobi and Shiro Zetsu.

.

The First Company led by Darui were stationed at the Coast of the Sea bordering Kumogakure, where they were to expect a huge onslaught of Zetsu along with unknown Edo Tensei.

The Second Company led by Kitsuchi were placed at the border of Land of Frost and Kaminari no Kuni, the northern border. They were to intercept the Zetsu that were travelling underground. 

The Third Company led by Kakashi were in the forests on the other side of the Land of Frost, where they would be aiding the Commando Unit later.

The Fourth Company led by Gaara, with Shikamaru as proxy Captain (Gaara is also the Commander), were placed on the southern border of Kaminari no Kuni and Land of Frost. They were expecting more of Edo Tensei than Shiro Zetsu.

The Fifth Company led by Mifune were spread out across the Land of Frost and Land of Lightning (Kaminari no Kuni), prepared to help any of the four divisions and would shift positions depending on which unit's need for help is greater. Many of the Uchiha participating in the war were placed here.

.

The Commando Units of both sides didn't expect to run into each other. But when they had, Kankuro did his best to bring down the Edo Tensei on the other side- Sasori, Deidara, a sensor from Kiri, and Shin- Sai's brother figure in Root ANBU who had succumbed to a chronic illness. The former Akatsuki members tried to use Anko's teammates against Kankuro's unit. The Aburame had died from a decoy blast meant to take out Kankuro's unit.

The Reanimated shinobi from Kiri fled to fetch reinforcements and to attack the main army. Sasori and Deidara were caught in two of Kankuro's puppets and the blonde was pinned with a sword coated with lightning chakra- courtesy of Omoi. Lightning chakra nullifies earth. 

Shin was finally showed his artist brother's final drawing that showed them facing life together, side-by-side. This seemed to have freed his soul from binding. 

Sasori was shown the irony of the situation- a master puppeteer now a puppet in the hands of a traitor. Kankuro showed that art could be eternal, as Sasori claimed, if passed on to the future. This changed Sasori's opinions, freeing his soul from his bindings to the mortal realm. Deidara stubbornly stayed put in Kankuro's puppet, with a sword coated with lightning close to his 'heart'.

Their emotions haven't been completely controlled by Orochimaru... yet.

.

Kitsuchi's unit would be facing a large number of Shiro Zetsu. Hence, Mifune decided to send few platoons from his own unit to the Second Company.

Three members from Commando unit including Sai and Omoi rushed towards Kakashi's unit. They were ambushed by two Edo-Tensei Shinobi with Kekkei Genkai, one with Scorch Release from Suna, one with Explosion Release from Iwa. The Third Company saved them in the nick of time. They were forming plans to defeat the two un-dead, when said victims summoned more of their kind. This time, it was the former Seven Swordsmen of Mist- minus Zabuza. (Kisame was a different story.) 

Kakashi's unit were facing several losses whereas no one was able to give killing blows to the reanimated shinobi. Some of them were ruthless enough to take advantage of their indestructible bodies to sacrifice themselves in their own large scale attacks to take out many of Kakashi's team. They knew that their bodies wouldn't be completely destroyed- maybe partially. Then again, Orochimaru did improve his technique of Edo-Tensei.