Chapter 96: The Tale of Usagi-Hime

After having her kick blocked by his Gunbai, Naruto used the weapon as her footing as she twisted to attack Madara with a Rasengan. Madara shifted his Gunbai that took the brunt of the attack. He then deflected it a little. 'Not this again.' Naruto thought as Madara simply had a small smirk "Uchiha Reflection." Naruto was fast enough to react but not quick enough to jump away unscathed.

With the Gunbai loosely hanging from his hand and its chain wrapped around his fingers, Madara stood ready to face Naruto. She had her Raijin no Ken ready in her hand as she made her first move. They were involved in a battle of Taijutsu, occasionally involving their weapons. There were not many passerby's to look at the fierce dance involved. The smooth flow of the katas as both were having equal number of turns of successfully predicting the other's attacks.

"Why do you call me a Senju?" Naruto asked Madara midst the battle. He laughed before generously replying. "The Uchiha had been at war for many decades with the Senju before the formation of Konoha. As a responsible heir of my clan, I was expected to identify the enemy. I was one of the best sensors of my clan then, and later, the best in the Fire Country, only second to the White Demon Senju. Hashirama claims his sensor abilities are unparalleled and are unimaginable, which I do believe. He was able to find the clan of a person by the base of their chakra. While I couldn't do the same with every person, I could definitely identify a Senju. Especially when your chakra seems more similar to the Shiroma's (White Demon) than my former best friend's."

Naruto thought for a while as they continued 'dancing'. "Do you hate Hashirama-sama?" Madara scoffed. "He's an oaf of a fool. I never hated him during the warring time and after the village was built. But after I was stabbed in the heart from behind, I'm not so sure." He replied, a little something flashing in his eyes and colouring his tone briefly. 

Naruto hummed. "I've got his version of the story."

[A/N: It's the same what Hashirama tells Sasuke in the Canon. We never got to know Madara's version, or Tobirama's version of the story in that manner. Their versions were deemed unnecessary by many as it was revealed later about a bigger villain Kaguya and the manipulation caused by her 'will'. 

I'm not particularly inclined to write Senju Hashirama's version. Please refer to the episodes 366-370 in Naruto-Shippuden for the story. If anyone wants the gist written here instead of watching, please notify in the comments. Depending on the number of requests, I might add it in the next chapters...]

[A/N: Naruto got the versions of the Senju brothers- Tobirama during the trip, and Hashirama through the clone as they travelled to the battlefield.]

"But it left me with many loop holes and possible suspicions." Naruto finished. Madara narrowed his eyes with a faint smirk that was not friendly. "You are like him, after all." He stated. "Who?" Naruto raised a brow. "Senju Tobirama." He muttered, voice filled with disdain. "Do you hate him?" Madara scoffed immediately but controlled himself before he could blurt out an "Of Course!" 

Nevertheless, Naruto could hear the unspoken words. "Is it because he killed your brother?" Madara remained silent. "Is it because of his growing suspicions towards you and your clan?" Madara's scowl deepened ever so slightly at the mention of his clan, and it would have been missed had Naruto blinked. 

"I heard that your own clansmen had turned against you, there was distrust, fear and suspicion rising around you-towards you, that your best friend seemed to be turning against you because of the one who took away your last brother." Naruto continued while Madara still gave no response, neither did his movements betray his emotions. The fight continued as Madara seemed to more in the defending side.