Chapter 86: Who is Tobi?

When Naruto realised that the Edo Tensei of Orochimaru was released,she released her own Edo Tensei on Kato Dan, as discussed previously. 

.

In the desert-turned forest terrain, Uchiha Madara felt his hold from the mortal realm disappearing. He forced his soul back into the host and tried to go for a killing blow that would eliminate the five Kage. Tsunade, however, tried to stop him and ended up getting stabbed in the abdomen by the huge blade of Madara's Susanoo. She tried healing herself and land a punch with the final ounce of her strength. The attempt was not quite successful and she began losing consciousness. Madara used the opportunity to try kill her with the other sword of his Susanoo.

The other Kage looked on with despair at the approaching death of their comrade when when there was a sudden blinding flash and Tsunade was resting on one knee on a nearby rock hill. 'I thought I couldn't move... How...?' She thought when she heard a voice. 

'It's been a long time... It's me, Tsunade.'

She entered her mind to see, 'Dan.

Tsunade was speechless for a while before she blurted, "Dan! How are you here?" "The Edo-Tensei Jutsu had been undone. I used my Ghost Transformation Jutsu and flew here. But that was a close one!' Tsunade didn't reply. "You haven't changed at all, have you, Tsunade?" Dan smiled amused. She found her voice. "Dan. I've always honoured your-" 

"Now is not the time to wallow in sentimentalities. I have to go." "I might have run away for a long time from your memories. But I've changed. I can confirm to you what had once been your regrets and wishes. I am the Hokage. But still-" "You are fulfilling my dreams for me just fine. I really caused you a lot of pain. I am sorry." Dan apologized with genuine sadness.

Tsunade bent her head at the thought of parting ways with Dan again. "I will be waiting for you on the other side." He approached her and put a hand on her chin, lifting it up. "But don't come quickly, okay? For you yourself are my dream." He kissed her temples, imitating her actions when they had first gotten together. He pulled back and gave a wide smile, "I was able to protect you in the end... It seems being reanimated temporarily had its benefits.." He trailed off as his image disappeared in her mind." 

.

Tsunade thanked her partner before opening her eyes to the real world. She barely registered Ay's question of her well being and her affirmative nod as she turned to Madara, who still seemed to cling stubbornly to his host. "Your vitality has returned, and you received chakra. How?" Tsunade gave a soft but strong smile. "I've got to see an old friend for just a while."

Madara didn't bother to be impressed. "Well, you'll meet again right away." Mei questioned. "What's going on anyway? I thought the reanimation was undone. Why doesn't he disappear and still cling on?" 

Said Uchiha replied in a bored tone, "The Edo-Tensei is a Jutsu that summons the dead. However, there is a risk." His face showed a hint of a smirk before it vanished. "As long as one knows the hand signs, the reanimated dead can rescind the Reanimation Contract from their end."

He brought his hands together, making the first hand sign, "When that happens, you end up with the biggest problem of all;" A second hand sign. "An immortal body with infinite chakra that can move without external control." The third one.

"Tell the Jutsu caster: Never use a Forbidden Jutsu carelessly."

A blur of hand seals and "Reanimation Release!"

...

Naruto turned to her fellow Jinchuuriki and the two Jounin. "Tobi seems to phase through all of our attacks. But when he has to attack, he has no choice but to be completely solid." Yugito concluded for the others before staying back as she hadn't completely recovered. Fuu stayed back to give her company and to guard her. Killer Bee transformed into his Bijuu. Guy took out his nunchucks-twin fangs. Kakashi infused chakra into his left eye for the Kamui of his Mangekyo Sharingan. Naruto switched herself with a couple of clones. Utakata was ready with some of his soap bubbles.