Chapter 105: The Move

Itachi suddenly asked, "What about you?"

Whatever was on her mind slipped away in favour of confusion. "What?"

"Have you ever thought of taking a partner for yourself?"

Naruto looked at him strangely, "Why do you ask?"

Itachi shrugged, still looking up, "The talk of your peers claiming spouses raised the doubt."

He was not about to accept that he had wanted to talk about this with her without giving away his feelings and that this was the perfect opportunity.

"Have you?" He asked again.

Naruto looked to the sky as she hesitated, "... No. I've always been busy with something. As a child, I was focused on becoming a good shinobi without being targeted by the council and the Village for 'being the Kyuubi'. Then I went on a trip with the Sannin. There was the Akatsuki to be wary of. Then I met Nidaime-sama and got to know more about him. Turns out he had unfinished business regarding the Uchiha Clan. Of course it has been completed now by the Sandaime and the Godaime."

"And he trained you." Itachi said. "He did." Naruto nodded.

"You say you've been busy, but throughout the years of travelling through various locations of Jiraiya-sama's spy network, you should've come across people who must have caught your eye, or who must've asked you out." He asked through a straight face, not showing a hint of the possessive character every Uchiha had on the people they loved.

Naruto had a distant look in her eyes and a fond smile as she remembered the various people that approached her in hopes of a romantic bond. Jiraiya was only present for a couple of confessions and teased her for them, after knocking them away in his 'apparent excitement'. She politely rejected the other people then. When Tobirama came along, it was different. He gave all suitors a glare. The civilians had it easy compared to the Samurai and it was difficult for a Shinobi.

"No one did catch my eye. Any hormonal actions were curbed before I acted. Sensei took care of many who approached, while I politely refused others. They just didn't seem to be the one for me. Kurama took care of me." She summed up.

Itachi's ears perked up, "Who seems perfect for you then?" When Naruto put on the confused face when she didn't have a proper answer because it didn't make sense to her, Itachi rephrased, "How would you like your perfect partner to be?"

Naruto thought about it. "Composed, but not too stoic like Neji or Sasuke. Someone with a subtle sense of humour. Looks do help. Powerful, of course, but more of a side-thought. Very loving. Compatible like my parents for each other."

Her brain kept forming an image of an Uchiha with a pony tail (is the hair as silky as it looks?) when she shook herself mentally. Was she swaying to the words of her mother and Mikoto? The image of the current audience, glowing as he basked in the light of the dusk, did NOT help.

"Only personality preferences?" Itachi asked. "No body types?" He teased. Naruto blushed a little at the question, hitting Itachi's shoulder with no heat. The Uchiha only laughed at her fluster, heart melting at that rare blush.

Kami save him but he had fallen hard and fast. A typical Uchiha. It was beyond saving now. He had to make a move.

"I guess, muscular, but not too buff. Pale or dark...?" She almost screamed in frustration. "I don't know. I never thought about it, okay?"

Itachi lifted his hands in surrender. "Alright! I won't bother you about it." 'For now.'

Naruto calmed down and asked back with a smirk, "What about you? Who is your lady, Itachi-kun?"