Chapter 94: Fall of Obito

"Uchiha Obito? What meaning is there in that name, that existence? I have merged with the Jyuubi. I will guide mankind to the next stage. I have the same will and body as the Rikudo Sennin. I am the Second Rikudo Sennin!" 

"No, no. No matter how many times you say that, you are Uchiha Obito. There's no need to lie to yourself. I saw your memories when our chakras connected. You wanted to be praised in some way or another, you lost your loved ones. You never knew your parents. My life might have been a cheap copy of yours, but similar nonetheless. Hence your resorted to reminding me of our nightmare, solitude.

You wanted to become Hokage. But now, you turned all shinobi into your enemies. You say you are doing this for the world. But you are just reacting from the death of your loved one. An extreme reaction, but something that can be expected from an Uchiha. This just proves you are a human, just like the other Uchiha are."

Obito sneered, "When I fought you, I say my youth in you. That's why I wanted to test you, to see if you would fall into the same despair or not." Naruto let out a small groan. "Thank Kami! And here I almost thought you were more of a preacher than a shinobi. Glad to know that was only a test! But it was a bad test, if you ask me." She pouted. Obito was baffled by her behaviour for a moment. Naruto dropped the pout for a serene expression and continued.

"But, you know? You're just just abandoning everything and running away." "No." Obito cut her off. "I'm doing what a Hokage does. Probably even more. I'm making peace a reality." "Are you serious about this?" Naruto asked incredulous. The reply came after a beat. "Yes, I am.

There's no need to voluntarily tread a rugged and steep path not knowing what's ahead. You'll have to step over the bodies of your comrades. Anyone would choose a shortcut with a fixed outcome."

Naruto gave a deadpan. "This is childishness. How can you say for sure which path is easy and which is not? The path laid before a shinobi is supposed to be rugged and steep. It comes as an occupational hazard. That is, till this world achieves peace. Even after that, it still will take a lot of effort to maintain it. You have stayed in the company of Madara-sama who has been through warring eras and the first few years of stabilizing over peace. What did he tell about those times?" 

Obito was speechless. Madara didn't talk about those times at all. Well, he hadn't bothered to ask at all. The only time Senju Hashirama was mentioned was when Obito had to be explained about how the White Zetsu were originally harvested from Hashirama's cells he had stolen from their final fight when he had cheated death.

Obito collected himself. "Would you say the same about the paths if the final destinations were same?" Naruto chuckled. "Why would the destinations be the same if the paths are different? One variation in the path will create different results. One prominent example is the the life of Sarutobi Hiruzen and Shimura Danzo. Their goal was one- betterment of Konoha. But their paths were different. One was too into the light, the other into darkness. You should know already that Danzo's actions changed Nagato to Pein. Had his path been same as Hiruzen's, Nagato wouldn't have turned into Pein. 

Or, maybe he would have. You wouldn't have left the Rinnegan so easily, would you?

A Hokage is one who endures above all and leads everyone. A Hokage never steps on the bodies of his comrades. There's no shortcut to become a Hokage.

You claimed earlier before Kakashi that you threw away your past and feelings for all your comrades in the past. However, the experience of taking back control from the Jyuubi seems to tell something else. You were able to control him because you stayed true to yourself and refused to let go of your past. I could see that. I will make you come back to your home as yourself. I know you haven't completely lost yourself. Come, join us, Obito."