Chapter 45: Explanation and Promotion

Sasuke didn't know if he had spoken his thought out loud. "You said you were angry at your father." Did he think out loud again? Never mind, he had other matters to worry about. "If you are worried about the punishment, don't. It won't be as tough as torture, but a punishment nonetheless. Perhaps probation or no-shinobi-life for a period of time. But you have something else to worry about." 

Sasuke gave her an unimpressed look.

"You moron! I am having a great urge to smack your brains out of your head at your stupidity! But in your condition, I will only be inviting my death in the hands of your father and brother. Your mother shall torture me, but whatever."

Sasuke simply blinked in disbelief. What was Naruto saying? "I've heard that you have been feeling so insecure about your status and role in your family and clan that you left the village. You have also told something in the likes of it. Seriously?" The incredulity can be heard. "I know the curse seal must've triggered and fuelled your hatred, those Oto-nin must have provoked you, but the base of the thoughts still stands. Your defection would've simply been delayed." Naruto sighed.

"Sasuke, anything like this must be discussed with the family. That is what a family is for. I once had a mother figure when I was a baby. Now I have sibling figures and people whom I can look up to. But there is still a vacancy in my heart, a big hole, due to the loss of my parents." Sasuke's eyes widened. "I've been an orphan for as long as I can remember. The true, unconditional love of the ones who gave birth to you... I can't have that. But you can. For a shinobi, their family is important. The Uchiha clan's strength is based upon love, is what very few people know, unlike what the majority think that it is based on hatred. Ain't I right?" Sasuke looked down.

"Not everyone is perfect. If you have a problem, you should confront it, not run away from it.You have a problem with your family not paying attention to you. You ask them on it, tell them that you feel neglected. Your father told Jiji that he had been making amends to you, but it seems Itachi-san turning 18 isn't helping much.Try understanding from his point of view, Sasuke. He is not only your father, but also the clan head of a prestigious clan.

You are his son too. Even you have the right to be clan heir if Itachi-san refuses. Or he might need a second-in-command. Who knows? If you are doing well, you might be one of these two as well. But who am I to make such assumptions?

What I'm trying to say is that you have a family, a whole family that loves you. Your parents love you. Your brother loves you. Don't hurt them. They don't deserve it." She got up to leave, stopping at the door. "Speaking of love, Sakura loves you. She had been taking care of you while you were sleeping for an hour or so. Give her a chance if you think she deserves it. If you think you are not ready for romance yet, then tell her so, but the least you can so is acknowledge her as a friend and teammate."

Naruto chuckled, "Have you even been thinking, you moron? And you call me a dobe." Sasuke gave a weak smirk. With that, she left.

Sasuke had 10 minutes to recollect his thoughts, thinking on what Naruto had said before their battle and a while ago. His family visited him then. He grimaced, waiting for the shower of scoldings and statements of official disappointment, and perhaps worse things. Though Naruto's words about his family loving him gave him tiny bit of hope.

He was genuinely surprised when his father didn't scold him, but put on a worried expression openly. Apologies were exchanged. Promises were made. A forehead was poked- courtesy of Itachi. A better future was envisioned by the family of four.

Naruto made sure the two Hokages force the idea on the council that Sasuke's attempted defection was merely the rebellion phase of an attention-starved teenager, and that it had been no one's fault, or rather the council's own fault. If they hadn't put pressure on the Uchiha clan, this would've been prevented. Well, the warning was not to the entire council, but to those who were foolish enough to talk down on the clan, which was a select few, since the Uchiha clan had done a very good job in the past few years, especially their help in rebuilding the village after Otogakure's invasion.

The next day Naruto found herself in the company of Tsunade, Hiruzen and Shikaku. The company caused her look warily at each of them. There must be some problem for the most important people to gather.

 Tsunade began, "Namikaze Uzumaki Naruto, you have been promoted to Tokubetsu Jounin with a condition that after a mission I deem fit, you can be promoted to Jounin, or if you pass the Jounin exams, whichever comes first.
Your mission with chunin Nara Shikamaru to retrieve Uchiha Sasuke from his attempt at defection of Konoha and the removal of the Curse Seal from said Uchiha has earned you your promotion to Jounin. Congratulations!"

Naruto certainly wasn't expecting this, but was very happy. She bowed, "Thank you very much for believing in me. I shall not fail you or the village. However-" Tsunade interrupted her, rolling her eyes and airily waving her hand, "Yes Gaki, 'keep it in the dark, you are a Jinchuuriki and the council won't approve it' We know it. We shall do it. We get it. Stop pestering me with the conditions." Naruto gave a sheepish grin as she rubbed the back of her head. "Thank you, Hokage-sama!" Shes aid as she fled.

A few months passed by. Naruto was gaining proficiency and was an expert in almost all the jutsus she learnt. She began experimenting on new Jutsus. There was also the research on Edo-Tensei. She excelled in Medical Ninjutsu, and while Tsunade's punches were chakra-enforced, Naruto increased her physical strength to be able to do the same with brute strength and without chakra. It was a matter of time, perhaps a year, before she gets the Byakugou seal. She kept in contact with her toad and fox summons, training in combination attacks with them. 

Kurama began teaching her control of his chakra. It would be a red transparent cloak of chakra covered from head to toe, with two fox ears and tail(s)- varying from one to nine, depending on the chakra drawn and its control. So far, she could control the power of three tails. The fourth and fifth tail power was barely controllable, while she kept in mind the prevention of any destruction that could endanger her freedom, status as shinobi, or her very existence. The sync between the Biju and his Jinchuuriki was impossible until the cage was opened. Both of them agreed that it wouldn't be now, but perhaps after few months, outside the village.

Sasuke was off duty and under house arrest till the New Year's Day and would stay under probation for six moths after that. Fugaku decided he would recruit Sasuke into KPF as soon as he is released from house arrest. Needless to say Sasuke was happy- this was something his brother didn't do for long as he joined ANBU, and his father's trust and faith in him was growing.

Sakura had met a doctor in the hospital while taking care of Sasuke and decided to take lessons from her. Sasuke had politely, but bluntly asked her to wait as he wasn't interested in any relationships. Sakura understood and was happy to be a friend. She knew that it would be the best she would get out him for now.

Now that Naruto was in the village most of the time, and her missions outside were over quickly, her spy network grew at a slow pace. Jiraiya was helping her from outside. 

Naruto thought back on what she said to Sasuke the other day in the hospital. He should face his problems, not run away form them. Yet, here she was, running away from Shisui, her beloved brother, whose teasing turned to suspicious questions lately.

Her fourteenth birthday was drawing close. She relented and decided. Naruto would tell her brother, but only to her brother Shisui.

Itachi was still dating Izumi, things remained where they were in the start. Maybe they got to know each other better, but Itachi, for some reason, was in no  hurry to take things forward. Shisui was in a very happy relationship with Inuzuka Hana. The two of them were receiving a hell of a support form each of their siblings- Kiba for Hana, and Naruto for Shisui.