Chapter 80: War Preparations

Preparations for the war were in progress. Shinobi were sent to various places to collecet weaponry and medicinal herbs. The minor villages had given access to their stores as long as they weren't involved in another war.

The complete shinobi council of Konoha met for the first time since the death of the Yondaime Hokage. It included all the clan heads and some important Jounin. Shikamaru, being a Chunin from the clan of brains, also attended. Naruto attended as the ANBU guard of the Hokage (Akira under the mask. The blonde hair was an easy giveaway). She briefly removed her mask to wink at Fugaku, Itachi and Shisui. 

Whether Itachi was close to fainting- only stopped by the fact that he was a stubborn person with no emotions in public - or not, because of that gesture, was solely his business.

The clan heads have decided that they would participate, and some of the younger heirs and all genin and the recently-made Chunin were to stay back. The Academy teachers would be staying back for obvious reasons. They were to guide the future of Shinobi. Considerable number of Medic-nin were to be taken. Not all, if the ones involved in war all died, spares were needed for the future, and also, who would heal people if someone was stupid enough to attack the village when the Kage was away for a war? 

The medics involved in the war, however, were required to be swift and not too afraid of the horrors of war. They would be trained in combat so that they could protect themselves from the enemy if worse came to worst. The same would be followed by the other villages. Naruto took it upon herself- in her disguise, Tsukumo Kiyo- to train the combat medics, since Tsunade and Shizune were busy with preparations.

After Kabuto's death, Konoha had sent Sai, Anko and Yamato to tail Orochimaru. Yamato was an undercover ANBU with the name Tenzo, who was a former Root ANBU. At the announcement of war, Sai and Yamato were called back and Anko was being helped by four Konoha nin, including a Hyuuga and an Aburame. As of recent, Anko found the trails suspicious, as if Orochimaru was luring her. She didn't know why, but she decided to stick to the trail because, even if it was a trap, it was the only solid lead to the Hebi-nin. If anything would go wrong, the team would split up and deliver the message.

When war was declared, Tsunade had called back Sai and Yamato, replacing them with a Hyuuga and an Aburame in a group of four Jounin.

Jiraiya was following a trail of the Akatsuki base.

A couple of days after returning from the Summit, Naruto felt the Hiraishin Kunai with Konan call her. She responded immediately to find the sea that had bordered Amegakure had stretched to the tallest tower where Konan lived. The citizens, thankfully, seemed to have evacuated to safer areas. There was rubble from few collapsed towers.

Naruto found a paper stuck to her kunai and no Konan nearby. She read it:

Naruto,
If you are reading this, then I must have died in my battle with Tobi or Uchiha Madara. He appeared before me asking for Nagato's body, and was furious at our betrayal. I had hidden away Nagato and Yahiko's bodies to keep the Rinnegan safe. After all, Tobi had pursued us because of those eyes. During the battle, he told something about those eyes not belonging to Nagato, and the Rinnegan will be returned to their owner.
Though I am confident  in my hiding skills, Tobi and Zetsu cannot be underestimated. Knowing that they have the ability to go wherever they wish to , especially Zetsu, it is safe to assume that sooner or later, Tobi will get those eyes.
I am writing this letter directly from my thoughts using chakra on a paper of mine. Cool, right? Don't worry about finding my body. Once I die, it will go to the same place where Nagato and Yahiko are laid to rest.
Don't blame yourself for my death at all. I am more than happy to join my friends in the pure world. The three of us will watch you on your path, regardless of the destination. Never give up.