Chapter 108: Plotting Against The Alliance

The five great villages in general were on the same path to peace. So was the Land of Iron. But that doesn't mean everyone was. There were rebels in these villages, citizens in those lands that disagreed, some minor villages and small nations were against the unification.

Some of them were against any change. Some of them had actually profited from the conflicts between the nations. Some were wary and feared that the great nations would gang up and decimate their small nations. There were some politicians who would very much like to NOT work along with those from other nations.

The ANBU were thus kept very busy as they proceeded to sabotage any attempts to sabotage peace. The Konoha Police Force was also deployed  and they worked alongside the ANBU as teams were regularly sent to the Daimyo when spy networks informed them of any plans to endanger the life of the Daimyo of Hi no Kuni.

Hi no Kuni and Konohagakure were not short of rebels. The Konoha Police Force were vigilant and smart enough to pull out any problems before they rooted.

Naruto was endangered as well. She had gained as many enemies as friends, hostiles who hoped for 'his' death to return the Shinobi World to its earlier stage.

...

"This is ridiculous!" A man in exquisite robes suited for desert regions yelled at an unfortunate servant. This man has sandy brown hair that was greying, indicating his age just below 60 years. His thin moustache and short pointed beard were well taken care of, showing how pampered he had been.

Hamada Katashi, the Daimyo of Kaze no Kuni, the country where Sunagakure no Sato was the Shinobi village, had been in a foul mood. 

It was nothing new since few months.

'His Shinobi Village' was in a constant turmoil over several years, since the reign of the Sandaime Kazekage. Katashi was the heir apparent when the Iron-Sand User had gone MIA and was officially declared dead. No sooner was he crowned the Daimyo, had the Yondaime Kazekage, Rasa of Gold-Sand, had been elected.

It was no big secret that Sunagakure was lagging behind in its development compared to the other major Shinobi villages. Katashi had used the desperate looks of the Kazekage and his people to his favour, trying to gain as much control as possible.

Because Suna needed a powerful weapon, Rasa decided to make his third child the Jinchuuriki of Ichibi Shukaku, under the guidance of Elder Chiyo, with the unfortunate sacrifice of his wife. The boy's emotions unknowingly controlled his power over sand, causing chaos among the villagers. Gaara was no older than six when Rasa decided that the Jinchuuriki could not exist any longer since the weapon was out of his control.

A tentative peace was restored for a few years, amongst various failed assassination attempts on Shukaku's vessel. Turmoil brewed again when Suna decided to betray Konoha while allying with Otogakure.

Orochimaru's betrayal and Rasa's silent murder had left the Kage post empty for a while, and Baki had assumed the post tentatively till the Godaime was decided.

Within the short time, many people had changed opinions about Gaara and some were happy when he declared himself as his father's successor. Many were sceptical as well, but waited for things to work out. There were plenty of people who were against the raging demon becoming their leader. Most of them were influential officials.

Thus began the Civil War in Sunagakure.

Katashi was updated so far with what was happening in 'his shinobi village', trying to stabilize himself in power and have more control over the Shinobi establishment than healthy.

After Gaara had emerged victorious in the Civil War, Katashi found himself losing control he had cunningly occupied, slowly but steadily.

Now, after the Ninja War, he was supposed to be friendly with the other Daimyo, all of whom he despised to various extents! He was definitely not going to be submissive to anyone!