Chapter 102: Assassin Attack!

Updating a few hours earlier because I know I'll be busy when the actual time comes...

"What do you mean Itachi?" Naruto asked cautiously as she sat up.

Her inner companion cocked her head as if testing if the other was stupid or not. "We know that if we want to be anyone's partner for life, if we want to walk the earth and grow old with anyone, it is Itachi."

A long pause. "Are you sure our feelings go that deep?"

A short pause, and a shrug. "No they do not. But if we choose anyone, even for the sake of choosing, we'd rather it is Itachi rather than anyone else. The question is, do you want to pursue the feelings?"

Naruto looked down. "I would like to. But there are many risks."

"Kindly elaborate."

Naruto glared at the mock politeness.

"Marriage can restrict our freedom and mobility. We have an unconventional way of doing things and break many rules. Union with a Clan Head or Clan Heir will put a constriction to all that.

I don't know if I can take care of my children, given I've never had any proper parenting, what with my own father placing the village before me.

I'm a Jinchuuriki and Kurama's position during childbirth is vulnerable, and there's a good chance of History repeating itself.

Sasuke doesn't like his former teammate. No matter how much I seemed oblivious to that after the war, I know the true extent of his dislike- which is much more than what he showed. So anyone related to Naruto would be of obvious dislike to him.

And the most important of all- Does Itachi like me more than a best friend?"

Silence rang loud.

Before Inner Naruto burst into laughter.

An offended look calmed her down into giggles before she spoke.

"Ok. Use clones for dividing household work and non-familial work. Our separate identities as Uzumaki Naruto and ANBU Second-in-Command will help retain our freedom. Itachi would understand, I'm sure. Else, leave the thoughts of union.

Look at Ojii-sama! He had no children of his own when he was alive, and Senju Butsuma was not known to be the best parent. Yet, he was known to be the best caretaker of children. He had drawn up plans for orphanages and children. Among the plans drawn before Konoha's birth, the plans for children were more than the plans for administration. Besides, you will have help from Kurenai-san, Anko and Mikoto-san. It comes naturally with the motherhood!

Kurama was controlled by the Sharingan to rip his chains and seal inside Kaa-san. Inside us, Kurama has neither chains, nor a seal. We can tweak the seal keeping him in such that he can come out in any form- from chibi fox to large nine tails on both his and our whims. So he will be outside before childbirth.

Sasuke IS a problem. We can only hope Fugaku-san, Mikoto-san and Itachi can take care of his problems.

What if Itachi doesn't like us back in that way? Not every relationship had both people simultaneously loving each other. If memory serves us and Ojii-sama right, it was Mito-sama who had fallen in love with Hashirama-sama and wooed him. We want our man, we get our man!"

Naruto looked stunned at her companion, her expression a mixture of 'you are awesome' and 'are you crazy'.

"Oka...y... How do you know so much on motherhood?"

The companion facepalmed. "You remember this out of all things? It was a more of a logical conclusion from the data we received from the experience of our travels."