Chapter 103: Talks from the Senju

Yep, the day went bad. The talk with her inner self was good. But then, she was blind. She couldn't use chakra properly. She was poisoned. She was almost assassinated. She was on the receiving end of her beloved grandfather's wrath because of her recklessness and the slight mischievous streak. Shisui was alright with her. But, Itachi was not. (He didn't talk much at all! He didn't even defend her against his brother! Okay, that was his brother, but still!) Then there was Sasuke.

Tobirama did seem to care for her as he had asked his wife to make a soup out of the herb that was the best for curing poisons. But how long would it be before he would think it's wise to talk to her again?

She never knew when she fell asleep, because eyes open or close, it was dark. However, she startled awake at the sound of a muffled sob. She opened her eyes, realizing that she was still blind. The cool breeze told her that it wasn't dawn yet. And she had shut off her senses, allowing the apparently crying person to sneak upon her.

She turned towards the source of the sound and reached out- both with her hands and her chakra. The latter reached first, revealing the man to be Senju Tobirama. This caused her to worry. Why was he upset?

The moment her hand touched his cheek, he broke down. He caught the hand and pulled her into a hug. Naruto felt her own restraints break as tears fell from her eyes while she hugged him back. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She repeated over and over again till she could gather more words. "I panicked as soon as I realized what was happening, and I didn't have much time. I didn't know what to do. I just didn't want to be a burden."

Tobirama's grip tightened to stop her rambling. "I understand, my dear. But people seem to forget the downside of being a sensor. A sensor who can see beyond many villages with his chakra." Naruto froze at the implication. Tobirama had sensed her battling the assassin. "I am sorry. I'm truly sorry."

"Hush. It's not your fault you were attacked off guard when you were at your weakest." Tobirama consoled her. "The only fault I find is not informing me. But I can't blame you for that. I'm sorry for being unnecessarily harsh on you."

Naruto's hazy blue orbs looked into red eyes that she imagined, were framed by black sclera that caused a pang in her heart which she ignored.

.

The wild rabbits and foxes would later find Naruto curled up with her head on Tobirama's lap, sleeping peacefully as he braided her hair. The silver-frost haired man grumbled softly, "Even after you die, you cause my little star pain, Madara. But I suppose patience is virtue."

.

The first rays of Sun that reached her eyes awoke Naruto. She looked up to see Tobirama smiling at her. "Why don't you have bags under your eyes if you didn't sleep?" She mumbled absent-mindedly as a hand reached out to his eyes. She blinked twice before both of them realized. 

"You can see!" 

"I can see!"

"Who can see?" Came a bubbly voice. They turned to see Hashirama and Mito. Naoko, Minato and Kushina were on their way."

"Humans, Anija." Tobirama swiftly lied. "What are you doing?"

"Well, Naruto hasn't slept in the house last night and you were missing. We simply decided to check on the two of you." Naoko answered. 

"Since when have you decided 'simply'?" Tobirama deadpanned. "Since forever!" Naoko chirped. His expression didn't change, but his eyes softened to a rather fond and loving look.

Naruto had spent most of the day bonding with her family and occasionally went out to fulfil her shinobi duties. She briefly appeared once before Shisui and Itachi, learning about their well being before excusing herself to attend to her work.