[99]

c h a p t e r - n i n e t y n i n e

"Jungwoo, can I stay here for a moment?" You knocked on the wooden door and opened it slightly to see him writing in his journal. "Oop, you're busy, sorry-"

"No. You're not a distraction." He stood up but kept his eyes on the paper. "I'm writing a poem for the village here before we leave, can you read and check it out?"

"Sure." You walked towards him and opened the paper.

The lights flickered open and Jungwoo poured himself a cup of tea.

He just watched you read the poem he had written with a small smile, examining your features while being busy reading the words he wrote whilst being accompanied with the warm beverage in his hand.

"I like this, it's great. It's like shedding hope. It sounds like that when you read it." You complimented. "How do you plan on giving it to them?"

"The head village told me he can do me a favor and will carve it in a tiny rock. Seems like it's a good idea so I am pressured." Jungwoo smiled, looking like an innocent bunny.

"Get it carve tomorrow. It's perfect. You don't have to keep reading it or you will end up finding more mistakes even if there isn't much. Like overlooking things." You closed the paper after saying your genuine words and not just because Jungwoo is a precious-must-protect bean. You noticed two more papers on the side, neatly folded, and you didn't hesitate to smoothly grab both without him noticing. "So.. I guess I should check out the other two letters here if you don't mind."

His relaxed attitude turned opposite after hearing what you said. "Wait, no-"

"Too bad, got both of them now!" You raised it and stood in a fair distance away from him. "I'm curious who did you write for."

"It's- I- Well-" He continuously stuttered, scratching the back of his head in the end.

Jungwoo knows he can't chase you anyway.

Or actually, he possibly can, but just gave up and realized he wanted for you to see the messages too.

You opened a paper and see a poem written shorter compared to the village.

"Hmm? Who's--" You paused when your eyes laid on the last word that indicates the name of the receiver.

Mr. Jung.

Jungwoo cleared his throat. "I knew you came to ask me about him and I was about to.. talk about it. But you've seen the letter first so I guess that's it."

You felt guilty reading a letter that wasn't yours, and so you slowly closed it, deciding to just keep it back in the table.

"How are you then?" You still asked.

"I'm well." He smiled in one side, raising his eyebrows at the same time. "You do know about that, right? You can feel it or even sense it."

Oh yeah. Bond-with-the-Empath things.

You smiled, patting the letter. "I'd keep it like this then."

"You can read it."

"I don't like to. This is still Mr. Jung's," you insisted.