Insecure Kazemaru Ichirouta × Reader

Requested by Ashley_Inakama07. I apologize for the delay and thank you so much for requesting! I hope you enjoy it!

. . . 🌼 . . .

You were able to notice numbers of things.

Like how your friends behaved, whether one of them was struggling with something and hid it behind the misleading mask of a smile.

Which also explained your notice to Kazemaru's sudden change of behavior. He was quieter, further from interactions and more closed around himself. The sparkle of cheerfulness left his eyes, leaving a dull image in your boyfriend's eyes. Whenever you or your shared team tried to approach his issue, he would push you away.

So you decided to pay him a visit on one of the evenings after practice, a session that he had missed once again.

Your footsteps echoed softly on the solid ground as you made your way to his place. However, you didn't find him there. You decided to wait for a few minutes by his door in hopes to see his figure coming back home. You dialed his number, which he ignored once again.

With a sigh, you finally resigned to visit the bridge by the lake, your harbor from your problems. It was twinkling with sun rays and multi-colored with the last bits of sunset's paint and reflection as it left the way to welcome the night with its shiny, calm, unwavering moon.

As you sat there on the grass, your eyes were fixated on the water before you, but your mind was elsewhere. An hour passed by and the sun was completely gone.

You decided it was time to go home, but a final hope whispered to you to check the pitch nearby the lake.

And which you listened to.

Turned out your listening to the faintest whisper of hope was completely worth it because right there, in front of you, stands the guy you had been looking for the entire day. You watched him dribble and shoot as he sweated profusely.

You could tell from his shoots that he looked sad and angry.

"Kazemaru." You finally decided that you had enough watch. His head snapped towards your direction with a gaped mouth as shallow breaths left his lips.

"(Y/n)?..." Your name came as a whisper between his raged breaths. He took a minute to calm his breath and go back to his sense, and you allowed him to, offering him as much time as needed.

"What are you doing here?" He asked after a few minutes.

"I came looking for you. I wanted to make sure you are okay." You answered.

"I'm fine (Y/n)." He defended, avoiding eye contact by looking at the goal to his side.

"You aren't, you missed yet another practice session. Everyone is worried about you." You answered with a frown.

"I told you I'm fine, you guys need to believe me and stop asking me the same question over and over again." He protested, the ball being played by his foot as a way of showing his stress.

"But your shoots looked agressive and sad just a few seconds ago." You replied rather calmly, which made him fall silent and press his lips into a thin line.

"Kazemaru, what's up?" You decided to take a few steps towards him and take his hands covered in dirt in your smaller ones.

"I..." He started with an evident hesitation, "I'm thinking about leaving Raimon." He finally confessed.

You froze.

Your mind took its time to process his words as your boyfriend's eyes were covered by his hair. Once you had gained your senses back, your hands gripped his tighter and you watched him closely, searching for any hint of seriousness, and it was all you could find. Which meant he wasn't joking around when he spoke his thoughts.

"Why?" You let out in a whisper.

Kazemaru fell into silence once again. To you, it looked like he was thinking about whatever reason to answer your question at hand. But to him, it was more than that, he was battling in his own mind, his heart clenched with guilt but his mind was convinced that he wasn't enough for the team.

"I'm not strong enough to beat those  extraterrestrial people that decided to ruin the Earth." He finally spoke up his mind. Part of you thought he was being sarcastic, which you could tell he was superficially. But substantially, he was seriously thinking that he lacks strength to defeat Aliea academy.

"It's just in your mind, Kazemaru. You're stronger than you think, you just have to prac-"

"It's not true!" He cut you off mid sentence, taking you by surprise, "I've heard that millions and millions of times it's not true anymore. No matter how hard I try to improve and achieve a higher level, I just can't. It just doesn't work and it wastes my energy and capacity."

"It's not-"

"Please, listen to me (Y/n)." You tried reasoning him, but you were cut once again, "It's a difficult choice for me, but if I stay in Raimon, I won't be beneficial and we will keep losing because of how weak I am. Team members complete a team and take it to a level of perfection. If I stay, I'll hinder that process, and I can't allow myself to stop my friends from improving." His tone rose with the amount of emotion he was feeling.

You were completely speechless when Kazemaru finished. Your heart ached that your boyfriend was suffering from such state of insecurity, and it pained you that you couldn't do anything to take his pain away, so you relied on your choice of words to convince him to change his mind.

"Love, I know how hard it must be to feel such emotions all at once and how you have doubts of yourself. But believe me, you're nothing of what you claimed to be. You're strong and independent, you're caring and kind. It's really rare to see someone think about others' sake before their own, and that's you, love." You gently cupped his face, "If you think that leaving Raimon will make you feel better, then I'm with you on it." His eyes widened at your words, but you chose to continue.

"However, I just ask you to stay and do your best to defeat our enemies. If you do feel like you can't take it anymore and it's taking too much of your energy to the core, then I support whatever decision you take... Even leaving Raimon." It was his turn to be speechless.

He honestly didn't expect you to be supportive of his thought of leaving the team you both grew to love and the place that offered you the chance to fall in love with one another.

"I promise you that." You sealed your promise with a kiss. So when Raimon was defeated by Genesis, and when Kazemaru announced his departure from Raimon, you were there by his side, step by step as he made his way up back to the surface from depth of insecurities and self-doubts.

. . . 🌼 . . .

Hey guys!

I hope you are having a great day/night! It's been ages since the last time I've updated in this book. I have a special chapter for new year, so stay tuned!

I hope you enjoyed your time reading this chapter. Please leave a like and a comment if you did, your comments make me happy.

Stay safe!

Lots of love~❤️