Endou Mamoru × Reader : Beneath the Mask

Requested by Yaro275 Thank you for requesting! I hope you enjoy it!

.  .  .  🌼  .  .  .

Masks were not something unusual in Japan. In fact, most people wore masks more than those who did not. Nonetheless, they always took them off at some point in their life.

Yet, that was not the case for you.

Since you cared too much about your health, you wore masks to protect yourself from diseases. Yet, it turned into a habit.

And to be honest, it saved you a lot of trouble from getting catcalled in the streets. You realised that you matched society's supposed 'standards', which you hated because it attracted fakeness and hypocrisy. So, you opted for wearing a mask besides health purposes.

Your classmates and teammates were puzzled with the reason why you wore your mask on a daily basis; yet, they never questioned the reason behind it, and you were glad for that.

But that didn't mean that they would forget about their curiosity when it came to what laid behind the mask.

Were you hiding something you were insecure about? Were you wearing it out of fashion? Were you that sensitive to illness?

All those questions were left unanswered because they did not want to make you feel awkward and uncomfortable.

So, instead of bombarding you with questions, they left it to destiny to hopefully see your bare face someday.

Turns out, their prayers were listenee to and answered one day.

During a training session, Endou focused intensively on protecting the goal behind him. When he successfully caught a ball, he stood up, praised Gouenji for his shoot, and turned his head to the side when he spotted a figure walking away from the corner of his eyes. It was a young girl with remarkable beauty.

A beauty so remarkable that pain exploded in Endou's entire right side of his face when he missed the ball that was coming straight to his direction. His ears whistled and he could barely hear his friends' concerned inquiries.

Later on, Endou sat on the bench with a bag of ice on the right side of his face which had swollen up from the impact. Suddenly, the figure walked into the bench where he was sitting. Everyone in the area stood still, puzzled from who this figure might be.

"Are you alright?" You asked, which puzzled everyone else more because they immediately recognised your voice.

"Is that you, (Y/n)?" Haruna asked you with a look full of disbelief. It was only then that you noticed the look everyone gave you.

"I've imagined how you'd look like without the mask before, but never THIS beautiful." You heard Tsunami comment, which made you look at him with wide eyes before breathing a giggle at his remark.

"I'll take that as a compliment." You smiled warmly, which added more charm to your presence.

"I thought you wore the mask because you were hiding something hideous. Why were you wearing it then if that was not the case?" Kogure questioned. You turned to look at him before a sigh left your lips.

"Because I wanted to be recognised for the person I am, not for how I look." You answered with a quiet voice. You heard shuffling before a muffled voice spoke; yet, you could not comprehend anything it said.

So, you turned towards Endou with a confused look.

"I said I don't think that would matter." He said more clearly after that he had taken the bag of ice away from the side of his mouth.

"You are already recognised for the person you have built to become. The person who cares for her friends and surroundings. The person who showers everyone with love and kindness. The person who prioritises tolerence and forgiveness over grudge and vangeance. I don't think the absence of the mask would have changed that outcome." Endou justified, which made the people around you smile and nod in agreement.

You stared with wide eyes and parted lips at his statement that was delivered in a matter-of-factly manner, which made it harder for you not to believe him.

So, you let your lips stretch into a grin that reached your eyes and ears.

"Thank you." You addressed to everyone, but secretly more to a specific captain.

Unbeknownst to you, the smile you showed for the first time was the last straw before Endou realised that he was helplessly in love.

And his next focus was not to only win the tournament ahead of him, but to proudly win your heart over.

.  .  . 🌼  .  .  .

Hey guys!

I hope you have enjoyed your time reading this request. Please do leave a vote and comment if you have.

Stay safe!