Chapter 23 - Re-evaluation

Flip

Pier placed one of his legs on the top of another as he continuously read through the pages of the book he was reading. 

On the other hand, the Crown Prince was sitting quietly on his study table.

His eyes did not cease to let off the young master who was just casually reading.

The latter had a calm expression on his face as his eyes roamed the pages of the travel book he held.

"Is there something wrong, your highness?" Pier asked and the book resonated an audible thud as it closed.

The young master turned his head towards Asher and the prince flinched.

"No, there's nothing wrong, Pier" Asher spoke in retort.

"May I ask why are you reading the travel book?" He asked.

He was curious as to what the young master was planning now that he had returned.

Asher was overwhelmed, of course. It had been so long since Pier was in his study.

Pier's gaze shifted towards the book.

"Is there a problem with me reading the book, your highness?" 

"Ah... no... there is none. I was simply curious" He lowered his head as he tried to think of something else that he could talk with the young master.

Pier was wearing a black fur coat and it was accompanied by his noble clothes.

The young master looked like he was comfortable with the garments he wore.

He was currently in the Crown Prince' study because Asher had invited him over so that he can greet Pier's return as a prince and as his duty as the eldest child of the House of Master's sworn household.

But once Pier arrived, his words seemed to be taken aback and he could not converse with Pier about anything properly since the noble gave a closed off feeling that he should not be disturbed at any cost.

Of course, it was also the king's request for Pier to visit the Palace a week after the ball and Pier complied so.

He was back again with his duties and tasks as a high ranking noble and as a successor.

"Perhaps, do you want to see the king?" Asher asked and Pier shrugged his shoulders.

The attitude Pier was giving him completely differed from what he had been expressing when they first talked at the Southern Walls a few weeks ago and at the House of Master's mansion.

"Whatever his highness wants then I shall comply" He replied while opening the book again to pick up where he left off.

'I'm so tired I want to sleep' Pier thought.

He can feel the mythical creature inside of him consuming his magic too much and now he desired to go to bed and just sleep all day long.

But since he needed to do his duties and responsibilities as a noble, he had went on his way from the mansion towards the palace.

It was not easy.

There were countless people waiting right outside the palace gates just to see him.

Nobles who were expected by the king had the liberty to stare and watch him inside but those who did not waited patiently to see the returned young master.

It did not help that he was wearing the comfortable fur coat Gideon gave him and accompanying the now strong cold winds outside, he was an individual subjected to the temptation of slumber.