Chapter 160 - Young Duke

"Brother, I'm cold..." The small child wrapped his coat further around him to prevent the chilly atmosphere seep through his body.

"Don't worry, brother will find a place we can rest after this," he reassured and ruffled the child's hair.

Gage nodded his head weakly before closing his eyes and leaning his head into his brother's chest.

The clouds were rumbling as a heavy rainstorm was about to come. Despite the season being summer, it still felt like winter considering the gloomy weather and the occasional showers that occur here and there.

Raphael shifted in his spot as he observed the visible surroundings.

Where can they rest? He did not know.

They were the family of a traitor in the kingdom and instead, the authorities from the Kingdom had chosen to let them go and become fugitives on the loose rather than detain them in the cellar.

Raphael had lost it all.

His name, status, and wealth. He was no longer the young duke of the Taron Kingdom nor was he a high-ranking noble in the territory.

He, along with his young brother, were now runaway criminals.

It only took a short moment for everything to happen.

Raphael's father had betrayed the throne and turned against the kingdom. It was an unforeseen event for him and that made his life take a complete turn.

How long had they been roaming around places now? He wondered.

A month? Raphael couldn't keep track of the time. He was too focused on raising his younger brother in the wild.

They cannot even go to houses or any other kingdoms because the war is still ongoing even though it simmered down. Territories are still sensitive about taking anyone from the other kingdoms especially if it was Taron.

A kingdom greatly eyed by the Empire of the North and that had recently fought a hard battle against the invaders.

Raphael and his brother were set free as fugitives wandering in the wilderness looking for ways to survive.

"Brother will find you a place to sleep at, Gage," he comforted the young child in his arms and continued to walk.

"Haah..." His knees wobbled for a second as he too was tired and exhausted from all the things that happened.

The former young duke was even thinking it would've been better if they were detained as prisoners in the dungeons rather than fugitives in the wilderness. At least through that, they would have shelter and food to eat.

But instead, they were set free and stripped off of everything they had.

Everything became a total mess for him and he did not know what he should do.

Rumble~

The skies produced a threatening sound again making the young duke hurry in his steps.

Trees after trees, valleys after valleys, the field of lush green were surrounding him and it did not help that it was about to rain.

Raphael needed to quickly look for a shelter so his younger brother would not suffer anymore.

'Just a house... even an abandoned one...' He shivered when the coldness started to crawl inside his worn-out clothes.

'I'm so tired...' He groaned but his eyes pondered over his younger brother.

Gage was the one who will be most affected by all of this. He was innocent. Only a young child who did not have any clue what happened.

Raphael cannot bear to see his brother suffer.