Chapter 162 - Restless

The two walked along the dark hallways of the grandiose palace. Raphael was quiet as he trotted the carpeted floor with his fingers intertwined in thought.

A god?

He could not grasp the entirety of the phrase and he was slightly confused.

How can the devil become a god? It was absolute fantasy alone yet the thought itself brought shivers down his spine.

If the devil becomes a god, earth shall perish and the living will decay.

The lands will die as the seas will vanish. Eternal damnation will fall upon the humans and every living creature that does not have the darkness attribute.

"Hey..." He called to the man in front of him with a trailing tone. However, the cloaked man did not answer and continued treading the silent halls where he was tasked to lead the human knight into his chambers.

"How did Pier-" The young duke was not even able to finish his words when the man abruptly stopped and turned to face him.

Horrified by the action, Raphael flinched and took a step back.

The man's eyes were glowing red and his fangs were showing. Anger was visible across the pale skin he possessed and his nose flared in fury.

"Your majesty, human. No one can call the king by his name!" The vampire glared and screeched at him.

There it was again.

Raphael was astounded by the sheer authority Pier has established in this unfamiliar land he does not know.

"I'm... sorry..." He apologized and soon, the vampire turned his head back.

"What are your questions?" Raphael's eyebrows rose in surprise at the question. He thought his questions would forever be buried under confusion and wonder.

"Are you... really going to answer me?" He inquired.

"You are his majesty's pawn. You will soon die in the upcoming war. It is inevitable and I was tasked to supply you with the necessary information you need."

The young duke visibly backed off at what the vampire had said.

That's the other thing he was worried about. He had agreed to become Pier's pawn but he was not oriented with what he needed to do. But after hearing small bits such as war and death, he was starting to fear his decision.

"What does it mean to become his majesty's pawn?" Raphael inquired and the vampire paused for a second while thinking for the appropriate answer.

"You dance in his palms. He will tie strings around your body and control your every move. Once you are his pawn, there is no escape. Even your soul will not be able to get away." Raphael grimaced and now he was wishing he'd turn back time to reclaim the decision he made.

"Why does his majesty need a pawn like me?" He asked again.

"Since you agreed already..." the vampire once more halted his steps and turned his full body to face Raphael.

"His majesty is aiming to capture the Cresencia Empire."

Thump!

The young duke's heart pounded in his ears as he managed to understand the statement. His mouth was ajar and his eyes were wide while he processed the thought.

"T-The empire?"

Nodding, the cloaked vampire smiled. The fangs that he bared earlier at the young duke showing again making Raphael tremble in fear.

"I cannot tell you the reason why but the plan is nearing as the days pass by. His majesty will destroy Cresencia and give the vampires the liberty to consume blood!" It was as if the vampire Raphael was talking to had become crazed at the thought of crimson liquid flowing through their fangs and into their mouths.