F O U R T Y S I X

A/N: this chapter may be a little uncomfortable, it was uncomfortable for me to write, however hopefully as you keep reading you see the same development within Alex that I was hoping to show from this chapter to the end of the book.

I V Y

"Im so happy everyone could make it to the annual family dinner, there's lots of new faces and familiar faces and i'm happy to see all of them" Mrs. Jones stands up and speaks before sitting down.

"I even see Alex bought a new hookup" A girl who I can bet is his older sister jokes and some people at the table laugh but i'm still lost.

"This is Ivy and she isn't a hookup she's my date" Alex corrects her and she fake smiles.

"Well nice to meet you Ivy, Im just so used to Alex bringing some random girl with no class just so he could ditch everyone and bang her in the bathroom once he got tired of us, it's been like that since Jessica left him" She exposes him and I just drink my lemonade in silence.

"Jessica didn't dump me Lexi, I broke up with her and you only liked her because she gave you attention nobody else in this house gave you"

me: the food isn't even out yet and the white people are fighting.

I text the girls in our groupchat.

Ciara: Ivy I don't know why your black ass agreed to sit up in these white peoples house and listen to their bs.

Delilah: I swear dick makes you do crazy thing.

It's not dick, I just wanted to be with Alex.

"Okay Okay, well hello Ivy" She passively smiles at me and I smile back, this is gonna be a long night.

"How's football going son" His father asks and Alex just looks more closed off then usual.

"Fine, we lost some games but our coaches did this thing where we merged practices and I guess that helped so we've been winning again, a step closer to playoffs" He has a light in his eye when he speaks about football but his father looks like pure darkness just dimming that light.

"Merged what?" Some guy at the table asks.

"The cheer coach and My coach merged practices so we could learn different techniques" He's more clear and his father laughs a little.

"So you guys sucked that bad that you completely had to get taught by the girls who just look pretty and shout?" A guy next to Alex's older sister joins in laughing and knowing me and my mouth I can't keep it shut.

"We don't only look pretty and shout and it went both ways they taught us some things that helped us become stronger performers" I try to sound polite.

"Oh you're a cheerleader?" His sister asks and I squint at her.

"She is, and she's the best on the team" Alex exaggerates, im probably not the best on the team.

"Wow, I mean I was just surprised, normally cheerleaders are petite, like Layla, I know she's a cheerleader and honestly I could of sworn Alex was dating her" I cant say anything because Alex is cutting in.

"I thought this was a family dinner? Why is Layla here?" Kimani asks.

"Alexis don't be a bitch" He glares at her and she shrugs.