F O R T Y E I G H T*

Idk about y'all but I love me some The Internet so I'm adding special affair as the song of this chapter once again.

I V Y

"We're gonna head out" Alex tells his mom while I wait outside, there was absolutely no way i'm getting back in that room.

"Your friends Sasha and Kimani already left but can you tell Ivy I said goodnight and that i'm very sorry for tonight" She asks him and he nods before walking out and coming to me.

"Where are we off to?" He asks and I shrug.

"Let's go to Dairy Queen then to my place to watch a movie" He offers once we get in the car, of course im completely down especially if Dairy Queen is on the table.

There's not many Dairy Queen's in my home city so going to college out here was great for my stomach.

"Okay but can we go inside, the drive through Dairy Queen's are so sketchy" He only laughs at me as we both get in his car.

Most the ride is in silence, I mean I don't have shit to say especially after being stereotyped with watermelon, fried chicken, and mac n cheese.

I wasn't phased by what was said because ever since I started college here these white people have gotten bolder and bolder with what they say.

"Iv" He snaps me out my thoughts and I look at him, has he been watching me this whole time.

"You didn't deserve any of that" He starts up with it again.

"I know I didn't" I have nothing nice to say at the moment so I keep it short and He nods shutting his mouth but now another question rises in my head.

"Whyd you even take me if you knew your family was like this?" When I do ask he slightly looks at me.

"Ivy, honestly I didn't really know my family was like that" Is he serious?, How do you not know what your family is like?

"You can't not know that your family is racist or not. You grew up with them and now you're just making excuses" I cross my arms.

"My dad wasnt always present, Alexis wasn't always present either because she was always drunk and out and on drugs a-" But I stop him there.

"I genuinely do not care about any of what your saying because none of it explains why you didn't know. My mom wasn't present in my life but she never disrespects anyone because they're a different race" I start. 

"Andrew dated Iris, did he never bring to the house did you never see something similar? I just have to ask because if I didn't have a strong sense of self and if i was so paranoid I would think you were setting me up" I add.

"Andrew knew better than me, he introduced Iris to the family thousands of times. She was always at our house but she never interacted with anyone because she'd spend all her time with Andrew and Andrew never went to one of those dinners nor let Iris come to one" Well then Andrew was a damn good boyfriend.

"And why couldn't you take the hint and do the same thing?" I squint.

"I've never been with a black woman before, maybe a couple times sexually but romantically and intimately i've never been with one and i've never even bought a black woman let alone any woman to meet my family either. Maybe only my ex girlfriend and i've only ever had one serious relationship which was her so I never really thought that they'd say anything so cruel to you" At least he was honest about never being with a black woman, I didn't want to hear bullshit.

I also love how he referred to me as woman, it makes me feel a little less immature than I normally act.

"You should of turned me right back around and took me to my dorm the second you saw your grandmother and those tight ass box braids." I joke and he laughs a little.