S I X T Y N I N E

I V Y

When I get to the backyard it looks like more people were there.

"Ivy finally, we're eating now come sit" My mom hands Alex and I plates.

Since when do we eat together at barbecues?

While Alex and I walk through the table of food I notice him putting a little bit of everything on his plate.

"Alex you know you don't have to eat everything" He just ignores me.

"I'm hungry" He mumbles feeling somewhat defensive.

He's being weird, I don't know why.

I don't say anything else, we sit down at the wooden table in the backyard and I have post sex munchies of course but Alex, I just think he's starved, he's practically woofing it down.

"Ivy" I hear my fathers voice and I look up to see him looking right at me.

"Hey dad" I smile awkwardly at him.

"Hi Mr. Davis" Alex also adds but he has mac and cheese crumbs on the side of his face.

I try not to laugh while wiping it off but my dad just looks bothered by it all.

"So I hear Nationals are in a month" he asks and I nod.

"Yep"

"You have lots of fat and carbs on your plate Iv, and since nationals are coming up I just think you should start a diet just until the competition" When he slides my plate away from me and closer to him so he could pick over the food I furrow my brows.

"I don't need to diet I have a nutritionist at practice, I'm healthy" This is exactly why I felt somewhat happy my parents weren't involved in my cheer life.

"Well Iris had a strict diet and that's why she was so great because she was consistent" Iris also had an eating disorder and was obsessed with her body and being perfect but he doesn't even know that.

"I'm not Iris, I'm Ivy" Like I said how my mom started becoming more involved, my dad did as well when he realized I had more potential than he believed.

When I was leaving for college he saw all the medals and trophies I had hidden up in my room and then he started to always add in his two cents but it wasn't to help me. He just wanted another Iris, since she was gone.

"That's the issue" He says under his breath like I couldn't hear him. I know Alex hears him too by the way he chokes on his food.

"Thank you so much for your encouragement" I add sarcastically grabbing my plate back.

"The least you can do is drop the macaroni since it's lots of cheese and fats and also the breads just have some proteins" He offers but I don't even feel hungry anymore, I feel sick.

"Darnell stop trying to tell Ivy what she can or can't eat. She's not your shiny new toy to control. Ivy honey eat whatever you want" My mom steps in and he rolls his eyes.

They've been arguing but what's new.

"You know Iris fell on her tumble that time because she was 3 pounds over her desired weight" She fell on her tumble because she wasn't eating right and got light headed. He's so blinded.

"Okay dad" That's all I can say, you can't teach someone that doesn't want to learn.

"Did you see Micheal?" He asks and I squint.

"Yeah, I actually wanted to know what he was doing here?"

"Oh I invited him, it's been a while since you saw him and I mean he proposed to you in high school and you never answered him and I thought it'd be nice to see him again" What?