Chapter 56

100 miles away on the mainland of Poros Island in Greece, the deputy mayor was in his office, doing paperwork when the coastguard burst into his office, looking panic. The coastguard said that the ship struck a rock, and will sink within an hour. The mayor was shocked by the officer's words. He quickly ran to the port, and tells the coastguard to call in the rescue helicopters, and boats immediately! He ask the coastguard if he's certain of this message? and he said he's absolutely.

In the control room, the coastguard, and other officers we're receiving news of an emergency situation on the ship, but not by the captain, from the passengers themselves. They were worried, because there's been a blackout, and the ship started to list really close to the water. The coastguard tells them that they're on their way. After that, the coastguard looks at the control room window out front, viewing the ocean, and he could almost see the ship that is almost far from the island.

At 9:30 PM, nearly an hour after hitting the rocks, the captain ordered a general emergency. The dream vacation aboard the Heart of the Sea, had turned into a nightmare, for the 4,000 people on board. Due to the large gash where the rock has struck, Water started to fill the engine room, 1st, and 2nd floor, causing the ship to lean so far that passed 20 degrees, almost this close to hitting the water. The situation was degenerating.

Once the alarms go off for abandoned ship, people immediately started to get even more panic and went to the lifeboats. Abandoning a ship, can be quite a dangerous thing to do. Boarding lifeboats, getting passengers in lifeboats, lowering lifeboats, these things that are not done lightly. Hundreds of people crowded onto lifeboats. Some even went to violence as people started pushing and shoving one another, and one person push the other person so hard, that this person fell of the ship and landed in the water.

Barbara and Selina, wearing lifejackets, made it to their master station on deck 4. Selina is still looking for Bruce to see if he made it?, but she can't see him or Alfred anywhere on the count of so many people scrambling to the lifeboats. Barbara called out to Selina as she got onto the first lifeboat.

Barbara: COME ON, SELINA! GET INTO THE BOAT!

Selina is still hesitate on whatever to get on the lifeboat, or stay here and wait for Bruce? Then, she turned her head towards Barbara and said.

Selina: I'm sorry.

With that, she left, looking for Bruce. Barbara was dumbfounded. Once the last passenger went into Barbara's lifeboat, it lowered and reaches safe water. Barbara looks at the sinking ship, and saw that all the water flooded in all the cabins that got down in the water. Barbara gasped by the sight of it. She felt guilty that she made it safely, while thousands are still onboard, waiting.

Meanwhile, Jim, Ed, and Ana were unable to board lifeboats on the ship's port side. They were forced to cross the ship, but the other side was overcrowded and would soon slip down into the sea. Ana had to hold on to Ed's green jacket. Then, a member of the crew came over and said.

Crew Member: FAST, FAST, RUN TO LEVEL THREE! QUICKLY, QUICKLY!

But it was difficult to go fast, fast because the ship was tilting so much. Someone shouted "COME ON GUYS, YOU NEED TO GET OFF, YOU NEED TO GET OFF, NOW!" So the ship is now listing at 48 degrees. The wall on the floor are at this V angle, meaning they're walking at the bottom of a V. There are 7 or 8 members of the crew, that made a human chain, so that they could get the corridor, and they grabbed a hold of each of their shirts to pull themselves up.

The three arrived at level 3, and there was a door. Jim went through it, but a women in front of Ana fell down, and was injured. There was a crew member, who had come to help the women and he said. "She's going down!". And Ana didn't know if he meant the women, or if he was referring to the ship? "She is going down."