2 • 131 • 143

- The Devil's Request -

"Have you ever heard the name of Gardenia?" He asked her after he released her cheeks. 

Charlotte said nothing about it. She clearly had no idea what that word means, except for the name itself was similar with the word "Garden".

The man sat in front of her casually as if they were not enemies. He spoke, "Judging from your face, I guess you don't know about it."

"If I know about it, then I wouldn't have bothered my time to seek the answers from you."

The man laughed in agreement, "Indeed. After all, I'm afraid that the one who has the answers for your questions is only me, someone who will kill you in the future."

'In the future?' Charlotte was confused, though she was grateful that it was not for now.

"To put in short, Gardenia is the name of kingdom with most of the citizens rely on the power of nature itself. Unlike this tower, it's a place where most of people live in harmony and peace. Of course, only most of them."

As he spoke the last line, Charlotte could feel a hint of mockery and hatred from his voice.

"Beneath the happiness of the young and old, the joy of the citizens lie the sufferings of those unfortunate. Why, you ask?" He asked after he analyzed Charlotte's expression as he told her the hints he promised. And her expression told him that she was surprised to hear the word "suffering" of those who she didn't know.

'Such a kind- hearted child.'

"It's because those people are unfortunate enough to catch the attention of a devil. A devil who is filled with curiosity, using those victims in order to satisfy his thirst for knowledge," he added. "And I was once that unfortunate child."

"But I wouldn't say myself to be that unfortunate. Because when the others are dying and suffering, I found myself the 'light' to escape. Warm and comforting smile, that 'light' brought me out from the nightmare. I felt so happy at that time, to have someone to support and protect me."

'His tone becomes softer suddenly,' Charlotte noticed it.

"The young and foolish me relies on that light a lot."

 'He sounds as if he's talking about the love of his life.'

"And eventually became its burden and extinguished it."

He looked at her surprised face, raising his hand to wipe out a trace of blood from her cheek. He wiped it so gentle with a warm expression that not even a bystander would believe that they were enemies. Charlotte pulled her face away from him and slapped his hand.

"You killed your savior?!" She asked him in disbelief. "How can you be such a trash---"

"I know." Her words were interrupted by his and she was once again surprised by his words. "I'm a trash for it. When the light was extinguished, I was deeply lost. I felt that everything is no longer important. I was constantly haunted by guilt and regret. But even in my nightmares, it had never blamed me. I guess I was poisoned by its excessive kindness."

'I looked and searched for its ray of light. No matter how small it is, it doesn't matter. I've always wondered that if it ever blames me, loathes me... could I live more in ease? Will the burden in my heart be lifted slightly?'

"And in order to bring it back, I made a promise with the devil himself. He appeared before me and made a contract with me, bringing me to this tower and allowed me to possess this body just like you."

"WHAT?!"

"He brought me here to fulfill the contract. And as long as I could fulfill his wish, then I could bring my light back. And it so happens that.... you are the requirement, 25th Charlotte."