Chapter 2

Hunter's POV

"Wow, mom I didn't see that coming! " At this point I stand up and head to the kitchen. I need a few minutes to process her question.

Before I know it, she is sitting at the kitchen island, just looking at me. I reach into the refrigerator and pull out 2 bottles of water. I hand her one and proceed to remove the cap from mine and take a sip.

After a few minutes of silence, I begin to speak. "Actually, mom I think the answer is yes, to both questions. You know I have always loved kids. So YES, I truly wanted to have Harper. I was more than ready to be a dad." 

I take another sip of water and I go sit next to her.  "As for the second part of your question, I initially thought my answer was "NO". But after thinking about everything we talked about earlier today I finally see how much more work I was putting into my marriage than Renee. It wasn't as great of a marriage as I thought it was. So yes, there is a good chance that subconsciously I hoped that having a baby would bring Renee and I closer together."

Mom leans over and gives me a hug. "That's what I thought might be the case."

"Does that make me an awful person?" I ask as I look out the window trying to avoid her eyes.

"Oh, Hunter of course it doesn't make you a bad person. All that really matters is that you love Harper with all your heart and that you will do whatever it takes to make sure she is safe and happy. Your father and I have no worries about how you will raise our precious granddaughter. You are an amazing dad!"

I reach over and squeeze her hand. "Thanks for all the praise. It means so much coming from you. You and dad are the epitome of great parents, in my book. So if I can do half as well, then Harper should be a very happy little girl."

"Awwww, Hun, you're going to make me cry."

Right then I hear Harper start to fuss. I immediately run up the stairs and into her room. It has soft pale pink walls with cream trim which makes it a very happy space. Her bedding is cream with pink and soft green polka dots and a pink ruffle the same shade as the walls. It's a simple yet "girly" room. Definitely not your typical nursery that tends to have bold colors and animals painted on the wall.

 The color and style of her room fits my little princess to a tee. Harper may only be 19 months old, but she's already showing her sense of fashion, just like her mom. All she will wear is frilly dresses, preferably pink with shiny or sparkly shoes. No sneakers for this one.  

"Is dad's little girl awake?" I ask as I scoop her up from her crib and take her over to the changing table. She just lies there and smiles at me while I swiftly change her diaper. Harper is the perfect combination of Renee and I. She has our blonde hair, my blue eyes and Renee's nose and chin.

"Well, let's go sweetheart, there are a bunch of people who want to see you."  I then pick her up and place her on my shoulders and head downstairs.  On my way to the living room I hear the front door open. First I hear Matt's voice, then Andy's and Steve's.

"Hi, Lynette" Andy and Steve say at the same time while Matt waves then heads straight over to Harper and me.

"Hey there Princess, want to come see Uncle Matty?" He opens his arms wide and Harper immediately starts to squirm. She adores Matt, actually she adores the whole band. They spoil her rotten.

"Where's East and Devo?" I ask.

"Oh they are going to be a few minutes late" Andy says.

Just then my mom walks out of the kitchen with a tray of cheese, crackers and fruit and sets it on the cherry wood coffee table. "Here's a snack for everyone. The gumbo should be ready in about 30 minutes." Matt's eyes light up. He loves my mom's gumbo almost as much as I do.

"Hunter, I think Harper needs her diaper changed." Matt says while handing her over to me.

"Really? I just changed her. Oh well, I better go check, just incase." I say as I head back upstairs. I wonder if it's too soon to start potty training her? I better ask mom about that.

 "Thank Goodness he's gone! Now, guys quickly, let me tell you what we have planned for my son's birthday next week!"